by Bella Kish

For many, religion can play a large role in the way that we identify ourselves. For me personally, my religion is really important to me and defines many aspects of my life. For this reason, I wanted to share a piece of art that demonstrates my own religious identity. Furthermore, because religious identity is such a personal, intimate thing, I wanted to use music and poetry to highlight the importance of religious tolerance. Having mutual respect for diverse faiths and religions is imperative to living in a more kind and accepting society.

“All You Need is Love” (1969) by John Lennon & Paul McCartney

I wanted to preface my exhibit with this popular song by the Beatles. It was written in the 60’s and was written simplistically with the hope that it would be understood by people from all different nations. Although “All You Need is Love” was written during the anti-war movement as a song promoting peace, it has a universal and timeless message. This song also encapsulates the importance of religious tolerance. The chorus states, “Love is all you need” which is a message we should all listen to. Rather than rooting one religion against the other, we should recognize celebrate and embrace our similarities rather than our differences.

18th Century Seder Plate
Seder Plate, 18th-19th century, brass: cast and engraved; wood: painted and stained; ink on paper; silk: brocade; linen; cotton, gift of the Danzig Jewish Community, 
Photo Credits: The Jewish Museum

Growing up, Judaism has been such an integral part of my identity. My parents raised me as an observant member of the Jewish community, bringing me to synagogue every week and sending me to a Jewish school. Although one can be exposed to and taught about a religion, it’s ultimately up to the individual themself to to embrace the religion. Although I’ve definitely had my moments where I would question some of the practices, ultimately, I do have an emotional connection to being Jewish as it’s an inextricable part of who I am as an individual. I chose to include this piece of art which is currently on display at The Jewish Museum since it really represents my personal connection to my religion. This gold, intricately designed Seder Plate was created in the 18th century, survived the Holocaust and was passed down from Jewish family to family. During WWII, the Nazis looted many Jewish homes stealing precious pieces of art and religious objects such as this one. Although many of those invaluable pieces were destroyed, pieces of Judaica such as this one survived and were later requisitioned. As the granddaughter of a Holocaust survivor, the history of this Seder Plate is extremely meaningful to me as it reminds me of my heritage and Jewish roots. One of the myriad of reasons why I feel such a deep connection to Judaism is due to the Holocaust since I feel an obligation to honor the memory of those who were murdered solely for being Jewish. I also appreciated the detail of the lions on the Seder Plate as lions are commonly used as a symbol of courage and bravery. The lions remind me of the resilience and bravery of the Jewish people who survived the Holocaust and were undeterred from practicing Judaism.

“Religious Tolerance” by Jessi-Marie (2005)
Blind Justice.
Sins of the mortal kind.
To love
To hate
To love my hate.
Follow me.
To find true freedom.
There is but one path,
the Divine take it.
Hinduism.
Buddhism.
Wicca.
Judaism.
Christianity.
All lead to the same place.
So why argue?
Why fight,
over something that is just belief?

The proof lies in the eyes of the beholder.
The existence is there.
Can't you see?

Do you think your Gods,
wish hate upon your soul?
Wish for you to kill
to maim,
those different then you,
who follow a different path then you do.

Hate was not taught by the Gods,
violence was perceived by man.

From Kane and Abel,
to Gandhi.

So many perceptions.
So much deception.

There is no one truth,
and that lies,
in the eyes,
of the beholder.

This poem written by Jess-Marie explores the idea that religious based hate should have no place in our society. She discusses how if we identify ourselves as religious individuals, there is absolutely no justification for taking hateful actions against those with differing beliefs since “Hate was not taught by the G-ds” (28). She beautifully writes, “The proof lies in the eyes of the beholder” (19). This line really resonates with me since I agree that people’s religious identity is so incredibly unique and personal. It’s not out place to try and discredit someone’s religion since ultimately, religion is based on faith and belief. No one should have to prove or justify their religious identity since it’s part of their personal makeup. Religion is our own personal truth and is something that we can never be stripped of. For that reason, we would all benefit as a society if we could be more accepting of differing religious beliefs and come to realize that respecting another person’s religious in no way discredit’s our own.