N@tM 2023 Gallery

Photo

A stork in the Rocky Mountains

Albert Bierstadt

1866

The photo is gigantic. It takes up the entire wall. It has a lot of contrast between light and dark and represents america pre colonization.
There are native Americans hunting deer, water flowing off of a mountain, bears blending in with the darkness, and I mean encapsulates all of Native American huntinghood and the setting in which they lived.

What do you see going on in this work of art? Is there a story depicted?

The artwork utilizes chiaroscuro to portray the beauty of the Americas pre colonization but the looming reality of colonization. The bird in the sky emphasizes the sheer size of the landscape.

What different visual elements (ie: line, color, light, proportions, scale, composition, media type etc.) do you notice, and how do they help you make sense of the artwork?

First thing to note about this painting is how big it is. The scale I think plays the biggest factor in the painting because it takes up the entire wall. There are vast lighting differences present, with the rocks glistening on one end and then the darkness covering the bear on another end.

What choices do you think the museum made about the object’s display?

Ilike how the museum dedicated an entire wall to one display, I feel like it emphasizes the scale and real captures the attention of the viewer. I also think they accentuated the sites with the thick layer of framing around it. They have lights going directly onto the painting urself.

Group Members

Name (first and last) Campus Seminar 1 Professor
Matthew Wassif Hunter Susanna Cole
Filippo Fabbri Hunter Justin Beal
Mitchell Lipyansky Hunter
Simonides Kalpaxis Hunter Justin Beal
Harper Whelan Baruch Karen Shelby