N@tM 2023 Gallery

Photo

Mount Hood, Oregon

William Keith

circa 1881-83

A group of native people are camping for seasonal hunting along the Pacific Northwest, specifically Oregon. This image depicts life before railroad and before Native American were removed from the lands due to colonization. They are surrounded by wilderness, in between the mountains with a river next to them.

What do you see going on in this work of art? Is there a story depicted?

Native people are setting up their camp group for hunting. It is mid-day/evening and they are preparing to go hunting for food.

What different visual elements (ie: line, color, light, proportions, scale, composition, media type etc.) do you notice, and how do they help you make sense of the artwork?

I see lots of green it makes me feel like I am in nature. The other half is proportioned with the mountain making me feel as if we are in the hunting camp. The oil on canvas matches with the feeling of nature and wilderness.

What choices do you think the museum made about the object’s display?

It was placed in the entrance of the exhibit so that everyone can see it once they entered. It makes the artwork feel important and introduces the general idea of the exhibit itself and its context.

Group Members

Name (first and last) Campus Seminar 1 Professor
Erwin Ramirez Baruch College Alaina Claire
Francisco Mejia Baruch College Rasheed Hinds
Rifat Ahmed Baruch College Alaina Claire