Feed on
Posts

West Bank Story

The West Bank Story is a satire on The West Side Story, the problems in the Middle East, and the essence of human nature. To me, the film held a strong message regarding the latter two. Some argue that it is too painful to make a satire on one of the world’s greatest problems that results in such great bloodshed. I think that it is important for us to realize that we can make rational choices only if we avoid the staggering emotions we feel. This is where satire helps us step away from playing “within the game” and instead, watching the game from the side. We recognize that the middle-eastern people have been scarred too much to propose peace. We also recognize that if we continue killing one another, we will end up with nothing (just like the Palestine people and Jews were left with a non-existent source of income). The film does not propose a solution, but it does tell us to wake up.

The film also reflects on the essence of human nature. If one looks back to history and studies the dictators, the rivaling tribes, and Imperialism, one can deduce that humans are in a constant pursuit of power. The natural survival mechanism is to be in an in-group. For this reason, we hold so firmly to our cultures, traditions, and religions. We will die for them because these ideas keep groups together. I think that it is through education that we can subside the extreme attachment to the “in-group” tendency. Unfortunately, the majority of the world is not educated and it is up to the small percentage of the educated to make policies and attempt to make as rational solutions as possible for those who have been scarred and are driven mainly by their emotions.

5 Responses to “West Bank Story”

1. hnz786- says:

How do we know that this sort of behavior is the result of “human nature” rather than something people were taught or picked up as they were growing up? In my opinion people are born innocent and know nothing of hatred until they learn about it from their surrounding environment. I think these lyrics from South Pacific put it best:

You’ve got to be taught
    To hate and fear,
    You’ve got to be taught
    From year to year,
    It’s got to be drummed
    In your dear little ear
    You’ve got to be carefully taught.

You’ve got to be taught to be afraid
    Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
    And people whose skin is a diff’rent shade,
    You’ve got to be carefully taught.

You’ve got to be taught before it’s too late,
    Before you are six or seven or eight,
    To hate all the people your relatives hate,
    You’ve got to be carefully taught!

I’m not saying everyone is deliberately taught about prejudice but rather they pick it up from their parents’ behavior or their guardian’s, friends etc. To me it isn’t nature that’s the cause of this but instead nurture. Think of the two families in Huck Finn that were perpetually feuding. No one knows the cause of it or why they must hate the other family, only that they “should” be arguing. In short this wasn’t innate, it was learned.

2. Lillian Z says:

While I agree and much of what we do do is human nature, I don’t think Human Nature is an excuse. By saying its human nature it is in a way saying that we cant control it because it is instinctive and inborn within us. I do think that knowledge of the opposing side will lead to understanding and acceptance but only to a degree and not completely. I don’t think that opposing groups could ever get along completely. Even if there is no “hard feelings” there is never complete ease.

3. jpulinat- says:

I couldn’t have said it better myself hnz786. I feel that regardless of education, there always be separation between different types of people, but having an education can allow people to be more accepting and therefore let less conflict result.

4. hnz786- says:

I think that you not only need education but also interactions with other people to prevent these sorts of situations. When people try to gain power, they dehumanize other people in their thoughts to justify the means that they use to gain power. I believe they also use this justification as an excuse to hate others. Actually meeting people from other cultures and learning about their similarities and differences compared to your own is something that stays with you. More often than not, you find that you have much more in common than you realize. Unfortunately not everyone grows up with as much diversity as we do, so it is much easier for others to believe the propaganda spread to reinforce distrust and hatred of each other.

5. Roni Natov says:

What an interesting, rich, and lovely response to the film. I think it’s so important to stress education as a source of potential for opening up and for change.