Therese Raquin- Acting

By far, Camille’s character was portrayed as the best by far. From our class we discussed that his character is humorous. At first I was confused because how could such a selfish and weak character possible be funny? After watching the first act I realized that the reason why Camille’s character could be considered humorous is not because he makes funny jokes it is because the audience laughs at him. His actions, mood, and overall character make the audience laugh at his pathetic nature. For example, the scenes when he is by the river he takes out a small white handkerchief and places it on the floor in hopes that it will shield his bottom from the dirt, but then precedes to lay down completely on the floor. Another instance is when Camille and Therese finally get married and on their wedding night Camille sneers in a childish tone that he can finally touch Therese’s breasts and look upon them whenever he pleases.  This childish behavior coupled with his sickly appearance makes the audience mocks him. Yet, the actor who portrayed Camille did a flawless job in making us laugh at the character.

Even though the main star for the show should have been Kiera Knightly, I have to say that I am disappointed by her performance because she didn’t shine. Given that Therese’s character isn’t exciting and dull, Kiera could have given more emotion or solemn towards the character.  I feel that the main stars of the play was Camille and the company that was kept every Thursday night.  Overall the play was just a gem to watch because it did the book justice, but I wonder if Kiera wasn’t present in the play would the reviews still be the same?