137267_3148c81546214bc4b60184115be1b4b1

Neighborhood observations:

• A heck load of graffiti (both artistic and distasteful) which gives the neighborhood a rather inelegant, dark vibe
  • Many, many family-owned food courts, pizzerias, grocery stores, in addition to many chain food stores such as Dunkin Donuts
  • The majority of the people I encountered on the streets of Coney Island seemed to be foreign born and young to middle aged. I also saw more women than men
  • Residents are in very close proximity to public transportation, with Coney Island being the last stop on many train and bus lines.

Subway Station observations:

• Relatively large subway station
  • Dimly-lit but above ground: exposed to the elements
  • Services include plenty of phone booths, an elevator and some monitors reporting time until train begins moving
  • There are many MTA workers around
  • Station is relatively clean with a reasonable number of garbage cans available
  • Station is wheelchair accommodating, with next station to also be so is Bay Parkway 86th Street

Changes and Continuities throughout stops:

• A lot of people exit at Bay Parkway 86th street, probably because of the close proximity of bus stops and the large presence of retail stores
  • Much larger influx of passengers as train got further from Coney Island
  • Average age stayed about the same but more females got on and off the train than men, which is in contrast to the demographics I observed at the Coney Island Terminal
  • 18th avenue & New Utrecht avenue was one of the more popular stops as well
  • Wealth of passengers was difficult for me to pinpoint because no one really stood out as definitely wealthy or definitely poor, except for any homeless people I saw which were about 2 in total
  • A lot more Asian passengers traveled the further I got from Coney Island but most got off fairly soon
  • More young adults traveled but stayed on for longer