Let the Great World Spin

The prologue labelled Those Who Saw Him Hushed, explains the events that took place when a man, named Philipe Petit, walked across a tight rope between the twin towers. Column McCann narrates this story in sort of the perspective of a bird, as the events taken place are seen from another perspective. New York is known for its busy and chaotic style, but as there is suddenly silence and people gather around to watch this build up tension, as police sirens and firefighters rush to the scene, there is large anticipation amongst the crowd and the reader. This made me think about the perspective of Petit, it must have looked liked the whole world is there under him, looking at what he might do next. I also have a special connection to this story, as when I first arrived into the United States, I barely knew english, therefore I read children’s books to improve. My favorite book that I had read and one of my first was actually a picture book about this same event. I read teh book with the same excitement as the people mentioned in the prologue. I could not believe that this was possible, and I couldn’t imagine how someone was brave enough to do such a thing. This was actually one of the few things I had known before coming to New York, this interesting story about a tight rope walker. Therefore the prologue really made me interested in this book, and made me constantly think about the ideas and themes present in the prologue as I started to read the first chapter.

Throughout the first chapter, I have most connected to Ciaran. Not because of his family or the events regarding them but in the way of discovering a new lifestyle and a new country. Dublin is 3,176 miles away from New York, it has a very different culture, lifestyle, and all around look. I also arrived in the Bronx when I first came to New York. I came from a longer distance however all the way from Istanbul. Which similar to Dublin, is a very different city compared to New York. Just like Ciaran I was discovering this new culture and style through an outsiders lens. Therefore I felt connected to Ciaran in the sense that we are both immigrants.