Dilemma

According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a “dilemma” can be defined as “an argument presenting two or more equally conclusive alternatives against an opponent”.  To me it is a complex problem involving multiple solutions, thus making it difficult to resolve. The first time I read the article, it didn’t strike to me as such a huge deal that Western poets were struggling with the ideals of romantic consciousness and I wondered why Diamond had used “dilemma” rather than a simpler term such as “challenge” or “problem”. After rereading it a few more times, I realized that the “dilemma” that the dilemma encountered is not just about the inability for Western poets to  capture the main romantic consciousness, but also the complexity of what beauty is. Diamond previously stated that “beauty is ethnocentric”, meaning that it is different to different cultures. Further along he describes the various aspects that can be attributed to beauty such as exaggerated features, or suppressed features, harmony and disharmonies, etc. All these different features make up what beauty is, however this does not mean that beauty itself has a certain standard, or “form” as Plato would have once said. What I mean by this is that beauty has certain qualities that appeal to us, but it does not have a certain essence or image that pops into your head when someone says “beauty”, as is the case with more ground objects like a table or a home. This complexity is what the “dilemma” refers to in the overall text.

4 thoughts on “Dilemma”

1. Yes I agree that beauty is very difficult to define, but this notion itself (that the term cannot be specifically defined) is beautiful in that beauty does not follow any set path. Beauty is, rather, as unique as each being that may be judged to be beautiful or that may judge something to be beautiful.

2. Dilemma is a perfect word to describe Diamond’s feelings towards the definition of beauty. I definitely agree that beauty cannot be defined in a way that a table or house can be which creates this dilemma of trying to limit beauty to a specific description rather than looking at it as a several ideas. Your explanation of Diamond’s dilemma in reference to beauty here is a great way to start thinking about what beauty really is.

3. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Diamond’s examples and definition is used to express the fact that not all people of different cultures or times have the same opinions about what is attractive.

4. The question you posed in the beginning is wonderful. Thats a really interesting question. I think your answer was satisfactory, that the complexity of beauty and it’s many aspect leads to a dilemma. Great post and writing!