Miró, Miró, On The Wall

Jolaynie Bonito

I) Before even looking it up I think of a mirror. It’s just too similar to “Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?” Searching “Miró” resulted in Joan Miró, a Spanish artist. I am disappointed to find out that it was a play on words with has last name and not in fact a mirror but a Miró painting hanging on the wall. I even tried to see if Joan Miró had done any artwork featuring a mirror but sadly no. The title is based on Claire’s Miró painting in her apartment.

II) Characters:

• Corrigan
  • Ciaran
  • Jazzlyn
  • Tillie
  • Adelita
  • Claire
  • Solomon
  • Gloria
  • Lara
  • Blaine
  • Fernando Marcano
  • Sam
  • Philippe Petit (tightrope walker)

There are too many “collisions” to count. It’s so easy to impact someone’s life, even the littlest things could have a big impact.

III) I’m not sure that Claire and Philippe can count as an intersection but to me it does. It was the first intersection that I had noticed. I would say that even though they never met he had impacted her in a huge way. First, he interrupted her morning to express her grief with the other mothers. It was unfair to her in that moment that everyone else in their group had a chance to talk about their sons but the day it was her turn they all had their interest fixated on a tightrope walker. Secondly, him walking between the Twin Towers had made her think about the importance of life and how her son Joshua’s life was so very important to her and she would trade her life for his and yet here is this man who could be throwing away his life so easily. I felt as if I were in her shoes and I myself felt anger.

5 thoughts on “Miró, Miró, On The Wall”

1. I like how you highlight the connection between Claire and Philippe in this post. I also felt Claire’s anger about the tightrope walk and it made me think about the stunt in a differently. The Philippe’s walk is so dramatic it effects people who aren’t even near the World Trade Centers, and not always in a positive way.

2. I didn’t ever actually think of counting Claire and Philippe in the character collisions so it’s really unique that you were able to see that. I agree that he has impacted her life in such a dramatic way that maybe isn’t too easy to notice until further analyzation, but overall I definitely like your ideas and opinions.

3. I would go as far as to say Philippe not only affected Claire, but the other mothers and I think it counts as a collision. The anger and confusion felt by Claire and the mothers in the group was a universal feeling I’m sure. The two chapters have shown me that life is precious and can be taken away in the blink of an eye.

4. I agree, the intersection showed how much some people value things while others don’t. Like you, if I was in Claire’s shoes I would be very angry as well.

5. I feel like if we see from the mother’s perspective, then yes, definitely there is this burst of anger within us. But then again, the tightrope walker wasn’t asking for attention. He was just following his dreams. So Jolaynie, do you think that it is okay to follow your dreams when you know it might affect other people’s lives (positively or negatively), even if that is not what you are aiming for? Kind of like what the tightrope walker did. He is just doing what he loves, but unknowingly he affected Claire’s life in a negative manner. I personally, feel like our faulty world is to blame for it.