Racial and ethnic profiling have been around for centuries, and no matter how outdated it is, profiling persists today. As the CQ discusses, racial profiling exists in the police force. Racial and ethnic profiling had been fought before, but the “Black Lives Matter” movement really shed light on the situation to people that didn’t notice or care to notice before. And it’s a shame people, specifically minority men and women, had to die in order for the broader public to open their eyes and realize how their fellow Americans are treated.

Mac Donald said the aggressive stop-and-frisk policies in NYC lead to crime to decline in the 1990s. She adds that minorities benefited from the tactics, and it is important to bring safety to poor neighborhoods. Others say stop-and-frisk is over-enforcing and driving a wedge between law enforcement and the general population. I agree with the latter. Personally, if I saw more cops in my neighborhood I would take my business elsewhere. High crime neighborhoods have an over abundant amount of officers conducting stop-and-frisk procedures on Americans. Instead of focusing on the number of officers in an area, new strategies should be devised to improve the quality of stop-and-frisk, as the Police Executive Research Forum report suggested. The CQ provides the wedge between law enforcement and the public by stating 73% of blacks say they are treated less fairly and 54% Hispanics say they are treated less fairly as well.

At the end of the chapter, Obama said, “when any part of the American family does not feel like it is being treated fairly, that’s a problem for all of us,” means us Americans as a whole need to combat any obstacle one of us faces, together. I know I won’t understand how it feels to be racially or ethnically profiled, but it affects many Americans today and new law enforcement techniques and strategies must be established.