Gangs are becoming more sophisticated and law enforcement has to keep up. Gangs are using social media to recruit people. I wonder how they use social media and if the gangs are worried about a trail left behind because nothing is a secret on the internet. And I wonder what is posted on their sites? Many gangs have turned to human trafficking and law enforcement officials overlook gangs’ involvement in human trafficking more now. Human trafficking affects 20+ million people and it’s an organized business that needs more law enforcement attention.

I believe educating youths, offering job training programs and extracurricular activities can help reduce the likelihood of gang members that are vulnerable to becoming recruited. Others may not agree, but letting youths know there are other options than becoming a gang member can be beneficial. And the youths can’t just be told about the offers, they need guidance along the way because there will be gangs pressuring them to join.

The CQ chapter states that some gang crimes are not reported enough because they keep a low profile. For example, Asian gangs aren’t territorial and they victimize their community members. What is unfortunate is the fact that the members of the community don’t report the crimes because of fear (I would be afraid, too), but also language barriers. The members of the community shouldn’t feel that language barriers are in the way of justice. Law enforcement should have more translators if there aren’t enough, and law enforcement should educate communities that speaking another language is not an issue if they need help.

Injunctions sounds like it can work, but gang members will also be more careful about meeting in public and can avoid injunctions. But injunctions also rely on profiling as the CQ chapter says police and prosecutors make their own list of what gang members look like. I understand what Morreale says, that “the more gangs get hassled for the little things, the less time they have for the big things,” but it’s also not okay for people to be at family party or walking home late and be in violation.