While reading this chapter, there was one thought that kept popping up in my head. Every time that the talk was shifted to minimum wage for lower level employees and training people how to do those jobs, I couldn’t help but feel that this is not the best way to address poverty. If anything, I think it might hurt in the long run.

The fact of the matter is that those lower level jobs that people want to try and help so much and becoming obsolete. The less ‘skill’ it takes to do a job, the easier it is to get some machine to do it. Eventually, technology will even take over jobs that require a lot of skill. That is just the direction that the world is heading in. So while you might be helping some of the people for the time being by raising they wages, it will do them no good in 5 years when a robot takes their job completely.

Since that is the case, I just felt like there should be more focus on alternative methods to reduce the enormous poverty level in this country; something that could have a lot more of a lasting impact then dealing with wages and training for jobs that might not exist soon. You could still focus on getting people in the workforce, because that is the best way to help get people out of poverty and out of trouble, but the focus should be geared in a different direction.