Cate With a C…Hi!

Hi! I’m Cate, born in Brooklyn but raised in Staten Island from the age of two. I spend a lot of time in Manhattan outside of school, and also Brooklyn because that’s where my church is, and that plays a major role in my life over everything else. I’ve never stepped foot in Queens or the Bronx so I’m really eager to expand my view of NYC while learning more about the parts I already know! I play piano and guitar, and besides music I also love kids (who I work with a lot), spinning, running, and basketball, and driving.  I plan on majoring in journalism, with minors in psychology and anthropology – I love learning about people and cultures, which is another reason that I’m excited for this class! I have no living relatives that immigrated to NYC from outside the country or within. Basically everyone has lived in NYC since my great grandparents on both of my parents’ sides came to Brooklyn. The only thing I really know about them is the delicious Italian recipes that have been passed down and make amazing Sunday dinners, and the Norwegian cookies we bake every year for Christmas. I know nothing about my great grandparents’ journeys from Italy, Ireland, and Norway, and this class has really piqued my interest in them. Without those journeys, my life would look so different… and so would yours because you would never get to see this picture of me driving with my New York license! (Novelty hasn’t worn off yet…)