A Guide to the NYC’s Mom-and-Pop’s

One thing that’s unique to NYC is its abundance of mom-and-pop stores. There’s likely a rich history behind each and every one of these small businesses that have resisted change, as the people who run them are often fourth- or fifth-generation offspring of the original owners. My proposal for the class is to visit and investigate a number of the five boroughs’ mom-and-pop businesses that even locals may not even know exist. It’ll be like the neighborhood visits, but more about the evolution and history of the businesses rather than the people’s personal stories.

We’ll split up into different groups to interview the owners of various establishments and try to figure out how they managed to keep their businesses running for as long as they have. (One prime example I can think of is how some dessert shops are thriving even with the competition from Dunkin’ Donuts throughout the city.) Of course, we will also try to learn of the circumstances under which the businesses were established, the challenges they had to face, how the businesses had to adapt to the changing times, and how the environments surrounding these mom-and-pop shops had changed over the years.

In the process, we will collect pictures of the small businesses and capture the products or services they provide. We can also collect video clips of the owners in their element, the transactions and happenings that take place, and collect audio recordings of interviews.

Aside from the excursions, we can also research the trends of New York’s small businesses. Are they disappearing? Or are they still thriving even with the floundering economy, rising costs,  and competition from chain stores like Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts?

The culmination will be something like a tour of New York City’s hidden gems and an intimate look at the history behind these stores and perhaps their surroundings. There will be maps on which these locations are pinpointed. I’m sure my proposal is flawed so any tweaks and suggestions are welcome, if you guys like my idea.