Netherland Assignment

In Netherland, Hans van den Broek stumbles upon Chuck Ramkissoon’s office while leaving the DMV located in Herald Square. He passes Greeley Square Park, a small park located smack in the middle of the major shops at 34th Street where people can sit and relax. Located in the park is the statue of Horace Greeley. Hans describes Greeley as looking distraught and clutching a newspaper in his hand. Before reading Netherland, I never even noticed this statue despite frequently visiting 34th Street. However, now I realize that Hans may have a point. Even though Hans quickly passes the statue, he mentions the famous phrase coined by Greeley, “Go West, young man, go West.” This relates to Manifest Destiny, which was a 19th century concept that stressed expanding to the West. This phrase symbolizes the idea that people who are willing to work hard in America and utilize their opportunities can succeed. Given that this novel touches upon Ramkissoon’s desire to create a New York cricket team and make something of himself, this phrase is significant to the novel. I also happened to walk down Broadway, where many of the shops on those streets mirrored the shops with the, “…novelties, human hair, two dollar belts…” mentioned in the novel. Finally, I arrived at 27th Street and started walking towards 5th Ave., where Ramkissoon’s office was “located.” Walking the same route as described in Netherland, I was able to put myself in Hans shoes and see all of the places he described. 2014-04-22 12.11.04

One thought on “Netherland Assignment