Barong Tagalog

The barong tagalog (“Tagalog dress”), or simply the barong, is a traditional Filipino men’s outfit made from hand-sewn pineapple fiber. With material similar to sheer, the barong is thin to keep men cool in the hot Filipino climate, and is usually worn for special occasions such as weddings, special masses at church, and parties. As a traditional outfit, many of my ancestors have worn barongs; my father wore one on his wedding day. When he immigrated to America, he brought a barong to wear at Filipino special occasions. Even today, he will wear it once a year to the Filipino festival of the Flores de Mayo and to any international festivals to show his heritage.

I have semi-sweet memories of the barong through my life. Every year, my parish celebrates the Flores de Mayo, a spring celebration of Our Lady of Antipolo, whom Filipinos venerate. Every May my parents made me wear the barong, which I did not enjoy. In contrast to the hot and humid Philippines, weather in New York averages 70 degrees in May. The barong’s sheer-like quality makes it a poor insulator, so every time the wind blew on the Flores de Mayo I would always shiver just a bit. I was also embarrassed by its translucence; as a child I sometimes envied the girls who got to wear opaque clothes instead of a translucent barong that would show my arms and undershirt. Because it is made from pineapple instead of cotton, the barong has a rougher texture than modern Western dress shirts. I remember every year I would joyously await the post-mass celebration, where delicious food awaited with the chance of replacing my barong with a more comfortable t-shirt.

Now that I’m older, I’ve mostly gotten over my insecurities with wearing the barong. I no longer feel cold wearing a barong in May, no longer feel embarrassed by its translucence (in fact I feel the translucence gives the barong a unique quality), and I no longer feel bothered by its texture. Instead I see it as a symbol of my heritage and a link to my ancestors. By wearing a barong I identify myself as Filipino, and I acknowledge the culture my parents grew up with and gave to me. Now that I’m slightly bigger than my dad, I can wear his old barongs instead of the boys’ barongs I grew up wearing. I think I look much better in a barong than I did when I was a child.

In the future, I intend to continue wearing the barong for special Filipino occasions or for international festivals, the way my dad does. One occasion remains, however: will I wear it to my wedding? My girlfriend says she intends to wear her mother’s wedding dress if we get married, so there’s reason for me to wear my dad’s barong to our wedding. As much as I like the barong, however, I’m a bigger fan of suits and ties. I suppose this is something I’ll decide when the time comes!

image image (1)