Right is Rieff

“May the lives remembered, the deeds recognized, and the spirit reawakened be eternal beacons, which reaffirm respect for life, strengthen our resolve to preserve freedom and inspire an end to hatred, ignorance, and intolerance.”

Fighting words, indeed.

I love the fact that Rieff so candidly pointed out that these services of remembrance is one of the ways for the government to keep a hold on American society and our sentiments.  It forces us to remember that which we can so easily forget a decade later.  It forces us to continue to seek revenge. It forces hurt, hatred, war, and ultimately, even more deaths.

Yes, true 9/11 was a very traumatic experience for our our generation but, let’s be honest, it was most definitely not the only loathsome act committed in our time. The genocide in Darfur which has killed over 400,000 people does not seem to be remembered or discussed. Is it because it hasn’t occurred on our soil?

I remembered when I first heard about the 9/11 attack.  Of course, I was saddened but, mostly, I was surprised to see that many of my neighbors were shocked that this happened in America which, to them, was equivalent to paradise. If the rest of the world can suffer from such repulsive acts, then why exactly do we think that we can exclude ourselves and our country from such acts? United States of America is the world’s leading superpower, yet unfortunately, it does not mean we are inaccessible to harm.

The family members of all those whose loved ones died in the World Trade Center might not have the closure they’re looking for, however, stating forever that their loved ones died due to someone’s hatred and ignorance is not helping with the whole “moving on” concept.