William Shakespeare VERSUS Doctor Seuss

After finally getting home after a tiring fifteen hour day, I can finally sit down and blog about Richard II, by the ever-popular William Shakespeare.

Judging the by the title, fans of the YouTube series “Epic Rap Battles of History” will know what I’m referring to. For those of you who have no clue what I’m referring to, here’s a link to the specific rap battle I though of while reading Acts One and Two of Richard II:

The reason I think of this video as I read this or any other Shakespeare work is because I do agree that it’s hard material to understand. There’s a very unique rhyme scheme and pattern that’s followed, and the words and manner of speaking from Shakespeare’s time are eons different than those of today.

The linked video is mainly for entertainment purposes, but it does show state a valid point: Shakespeare’s work is timeless. No matter what age, I feel that classes around the world in every school will always read some Shakespeare. His style is just that influential and important to classical and modern English literature. Although it can be extremely challenging and very hard for some to sit through, it’s just a section of literature that’s going to be around forever.

As for Richard II, I enjoy the fact that two men are posed against one another in a sort of “battle of / for honor.” It sets up the play for some interesting plot points and twists involving the two men and the people they may meet on their journeys into the unknown. Richard II serves as a sort of mediator in the beginning, determining how the two men will live for the next couple of years and naming the consequences and what can be gained as well. I’m excited to see how this play ends, even thought it means navigating through Shakespeare’s tricky language!

This entry was posted in Richard II by Daniel. Bookmark the permalink.

About Daniel

Daniel is a graduate of CUNY Macaulay Honors College at Brooklyn College, summa cum laude with a B.A. in Film Production and TV/Radio. He can be reached via his website, www.passingplanes.com. The Utopia of Daniel was his college blog and he has since transitioned to posting on other sites.