I flew through The Martian this time just as quickly as when I first read it. I had forgotten how quirky and scientific it was, as the movie’s toned-down version was a bit fresher on my mind. Rereading it after watching the movie reminded me of how much is often lost in a film adaptation of a book, especially a science-fiction one. Of course I understand that some things had to be changed or left out to make it more “viewable” to a general audience, but part of what made the book so enjoyable was trying to understand the crazy science and math that the characters had to do. (Sidenote: if you watched the movie, you’ll understand what I mean when I question the Iron Man.)

In connection to the other readings, I was struck by the similar themes between The Martian and “Down and Out on Ellfive Prime”. Andy Weir notably makes much of what happens to Watney a result of human actions or error (excluding the initial storm that stranded him). The rain pipe that causes chaos on Ellfive Prime is also an example of a mix of human error and ignorance. It goes to show that space may be frightening and dangerous, but much more damage is done when humans are simply not careful enough in their environment.