After reading The Martian, “The Cold Equations” was a strong slap in the face reminding me that not everything gets a happy ending. That was a lot darker than I had anticipated; but, after rooting for Mark Watney for so long, experiencing every obstacle that Mars had to throw at him and getting the ending we wanted, “The Cold Equations” left me with an eerie and hopeless feeling. Everything that could have possibly gone wrong (except fatal death) did, and yet at every turn, Mark was able to outsmart and (arguably) out-luck any situation he was in – making him our favorite space pirate.

So, why didn’t we get the same ending for our heroine, Marilyn? Because sometimes, you can’t “Watney” your way out of difficult situations. Sometimes, you need to face the consequences – whether it was your fault or the fallout of someone/something else. I can’t say that I am thrilled about the way that “The Cold Equations” had to end, but I understand why Godwin ended it like this. Not only does Marilyn’s ending directly juxtapose Watney’s, but I think the hardest part about accepting Marilyn’s is that she is more relatable to us (or just me). I read about Marilyn and I can see myself in her position (not in space, but in her metaphorical position).

I am sure we have all done small terrible things, and nothing too terrible has happened to us as a result of our actions. For example, similar to Marilyn, I have “trespassed” and ignored “Keep Out” signs before, and there have been no dire consequences. I am still alive and well, and have my entire future to look forward to. I never plan that I would die because of one small decision. (The worst I think will happen is that my mom will find out.) I never plan for an outcome where suddenly, I don’t have any hopes or aspirations anymore – that I died. I think that is the unsettling part for me – reading about Marilyn, who is so young and with her whole life ahead of her, and knowing that because of one small, innocent mistake, it is all gone. Sometimes the rules are unbending, and you have to live with the consequences of your actions.