Generalization of second-generation immigrants and segmented assimliation

In the article by Kasinitz et al., the presented theory of segmented assimilation states that second-generation immigrants of minority groups may have impediments that will lead to stagnant or downward mobility. This theory states that minority groups have great barriers such as poor inner-city schools, and fewer opportunities of employment due to discrimination. Unlike other second-generation immigrants, black and Hispanic have an increasing racial barrier due to the racial stereotypes posed when their parents immigrated. Instead of assimilating to mainstream culture they may come to resent it due to the racial barriers that prevent their acceptance. They also may resent their parents’ way of living and start their own youth culture. Through this culture they will be integrated into American society in a different way.

The article also goes into a discussion of affirmative action for racial minorities. This institutional policy is founded on a harsh generalization that it is more difficult for minorities to attend a four-year college. I find that this policy may work for immigrants and second-generation immigrants due to the struggle of assimilation into professional society. Although I think it can be effective in having diversity in institutions, I think successive generations, who are just as “American” as everyone else they go to school with, should not have this advantage over other students purely based on race. I believe successive generations of immigrants are assimilated into mainstream society and having these policies segregate as outsiders even more.

I think this theory of segmented assimilation is overly generalized when applying it to minorities in the United States due to the many different experiences of second-generation immigrants. This type of generalization can lead to stereotyping of any group and will affect the policies of institutions in a negative way. This generalization may be theorized for children of the newly immigrated, but analyzing successive generations will become more complex and will just be a new addition to the word “American.”

This entry was posted in Reading Responses. Bookmark the permalink.