Stereotypes; a major impeding factor

When reading the Kasinitz et al, I found myself thinking about a lot of things. Many of these immigrants come to this country for better opportunity, for economic benefits, social benefits, etc. However, when it comes down to it, some of these people are really not benefiting at all.

These immigrants don’t have the access to education that we as natives do, the college rates when compared are sickening. Not only do they have this factor to contend with, but they also have to figure out how to break themselves of these stereotypes. I believe that these stereotypes, these “niches” really hold them back. I think one of the statements in the piece with the most impact on me was by a chinese respondent, who, when asked if she believed her father would want her to take over the family business said “no, he doesn’t hate me that much!” Her father knows that if she were to follow in his footsteps that she would be held back all of her life by the preconceived notions that everyone seems to form with no rational basis. He wants better for her, as most parents do for their children, then he ever had.

I found it interesting that Kasinitz brought up the topic of a minority/majority nation. Isn’t that the idea that this country was founded on? That we should be diverse, each have our own ideals and cultures, and that none of us should judge another one for it? Doesn’t it say in our declaration of independence that “all men are created equal?” Cliched as that phrase has become, it means a lot. As this country ages, we are seeing a lot more color, a lot more religions and hearing a lot more languages. Instead of shying away from this, we should embrace it, and leave those unfounded stereotypes out of it completely. The demographic of our nation is changing, and we shouldn’t try to categorize and stereotype everyone in an attempt to keep them below others.

This entry was posted in Reading Responses. Bookmark the permalink.