My Introduction: Donald Fung

Hi everyone, my name is Donald Fung. I was born in Chinatown, New York and lived there until the winter of 2001 when I was 6. After that, my family moved to Staten Island for more living space. I hope to move back to New York City in the future because I really like the city and the stereotype of Staten Island is pretty accurate – it is really boring. I went to Staten Island Technical High School along with many other Macaulay Honors and Baruch students.

I am fluent in English and Cantonese Chinese and I am currently in the process of learning Mandarin. I am also interested in learning written Chinese as well as Japanese during my college years and beyond. After my vacation to Guangzhou (where my family comes from) and Shanghai this summer, I learned a lot more about my culture and family and became interested in learning written Chinese. Here are some pictures from my vacation:

IMG_0095IMG_0189

Shanghai Skyline: IMG_0270[1]

I am interested in learning about economics and finance although I do not have a lot of experience with either subjects. I plan to major in Finance and minor in Real Estate, Statistics and/or Computer Information Systems.

One of the things I love the most is music. I listen to a wide range of music from country to rock. Besides listening to English and Chinese music, I also like to listen to music in foreign languages that I barely/don’t understand such as Korean, Japanese, and Russian. Also, this summer, I got bored so I started writing parodies to popular songs and stuff.

Here’s some songs I recommend you guys listen to when you have time:

Cantonese: Beyond – 真的愛妳/Really Love You Mandarin: 当你孤单/When You’re Lonely Korean: Haru Haru/Day By Day

I have a lot more suggestions but I figured you guys don’t have that much time on your hands.

I have several hobbies that I enjoy doing. I usually spend the majority of my free time hanging out with friends, reading the news, and researching. I have a very curious personality so whenever I come across something I don’t know through conversation or in class, I feel like I have to find out about it right away. Other hobbies include playing piano which I started when I was 6 and fencing which I started during my sophomore year in high school.

Fencing PictureThis picture was taken 1-2 years ago. Yeah, fencing clothes and equipment can cause a really big mess as you can see behind me.

Other sports I enjoy are basketball, volleyball, pool, karate, and ping pong (although I’m not good at any of these). I also spend a lot of my free time watching movies online and playing games – I’m currently addicted to Candy Crush and Risk. Probably not the best addictions to have going into college but at least they’re not as time consuming as League or Starcraft.

I guess I will end my introduction here. I am a shy person and often find it hard to start a conversation with new people. However, I love meeting new people so feel free to talk to me about anything. Also, I just wanted to add that I feel like this introduction assignment is a good way for everyone to know something about each other and I look forward to reading everyone’s introductions. Thanks for reading! I am looking forward to four fun and exciting years of college!

PS: Watch this panda video!

About Donald Fung

Hey everyone! I'm Donald Fung and I'm a freshmen at the Macaulay Honors College at Baruch. I am going to be majoring in Finance and minoring in Math, Quantitative Methods and Modeling, and Psychology. I graduated from Staten Island Tech last year and I'm looking forward to a good year at Macaulay Baruch!