Lorde’s Misattributed Acclaim

In an industry where sex sells and break-ups are a sure ticket to getting on Billboards top 100 hits, Lorde is emerging as possibly the last teen pop star to know about, or rather care about, world issues. Unlike Taylor Swift who keeps whining about yet another break up, or Miley Cyrus who believes exploiting her body will keep her relevant, the sixteen-year old New Zealand singer/songwriter Lorde is, “singing about class consciousness and conspicuous consumption” according to Jon Pareles’ “She’s 16, but Not Thinking of Sweet”. In his article, Pareles explores Lorde’s technical skills as an emerging star and touches upon how some of her song material differs from her teenage competitors. In her song, “Royals”, Lorde conveys her social awareness and reveals the struggles associated “with being someone who ‘didn’t come from money’.” However, listeners do not appreciate the social issues portrayed in her song. Instead, “Royals” made it to the number one spot on the Billboard top 100 hits because of its well-designed rhythm and Lorde’s vocal talents rather than its content.

With catchy lyrics, a unique multilayered chorus, and Lorde’s deep, sultry voice, “Royals” is a prime example of how fans are only capable of listening to, and perceiving songs that are singable.  Without Lorde’s creative techniques, inspired by the iconic Beyoncé, her song would be left to die in a pile of other countless songs not about sex, drugs, or ex-boyfriends. The music industry, in order to appease today’s pleasure crazed public, has successfully transformed a means of self-expression and substance into a materialistic, auto-tuned monster. No longer are artists acclaimed for what they sing about, instead they are idolized for the way they sing it.

Artists such as Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry epitomize this conformity to society. Their songs and music videos feature what American consumers desire: sex, red, emotion, and a memorable chorus. Miley Cyrus’ “Wrecking Ball” and Katy Perry’s “Roar” respectively take the second and third spots on the Billboard top 100 hits proving success and substance are nowhere related. Instead, it is the melodious tune and “special effects” of their songs the widespread acclaim is attributed to. Listeners find themselves humming Perry and Cyrus’ songs just as often as Lorde’s – ultimately devaluing the meaning behind the innovative artist’s work.

This is the main problem with consumers of music; they do not understand the value of a song because their only concern is enjoyment, not interpretation. They do not care if Rihanna is singing about sadomasochism, or if Drake is contributing to the objectification of women, their only worry is whether the song is pleasing to the ear. Radio stations such as Z100 and KTU play the same five songs on repeat everyday and yet listeners still could not tell you what the meaning behind the lyrics of each is. They could dictate each note, “spit” each line, even attempt to impersonate the auto-tuned performer, but they could not tell you that within Kendrick Lamar’s “Swimming Pools” or Lorde’s “Royals” there are burning issues that need immediate attention. They could not begin to comprehend that Lamar’s song is actually about the problems of alcoholism, or that Lorde is preaching about the giant gap between the rich and the poor. They are utterly clueless to the true significance of what they are listening to.

Today, performers are not idolized because they sing about government corruption, social inequalities, or pressing racism; instead, they achieve success by wearing the right clothes, presenting themselves in a “fresh, innovative” way and singing songs that are contagious. In order to create a hit in this industry a well recognized performer has to simply put meaningless words together, attach a catchy beat, and ensure the chorus is memorable. The downside to this easy rode to success is that artists like Lorde who are actually singing about things that matter only achieve fame if they put their meaningful words into the mold of a crappy song.

Works Cited

Pareles, Jon. “She’s 16, but Not Thinking of Sweet.” New York Times. New York Times, 1 Oct. 2013. Web. 4 Oct. 2013. <http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/02/arts/music/shes-16-but-not-thinking-of-sweet.html>.

Lorde’s Misattributed Acclaim — 10 Comments

1. The point you bring up is something people are too afraid to admit. Some of the most popular songs like you said do not really amount to much when you take it apart. They are as you said simply catchy songs that are pleasing to sing.

I think of the several reason why this happens is because people are blind to society’s issues. Society also does not tend to educate itself much, so the messages in a song like “Royals” just go over people’s heads. People are also so absorbed in the song’s rhythm that there is little time to look at anything else. I see and hear a lot of girls singing very sexist songs because they hear the words, but they do not listen.

I agree with you completely on the problems arising from people’s fascination with the way the song sounds as opposed to its content. While a song like “Royals” getting recognition is nice, it gets put in the same league as other meaningless songs about sex, girls, boys, or drugs.

2. I think you brought up a great point that society is blind to social issues unless packaged neatly and presented nicely. I think the dismissive attitude of the people in a country (at least in a democratic country like the US) come from the notion that solving national economic and social issues are the prerogative of the government. For the average person I think the pursuit of fleeting happiness is what consumes their mind more than why the middle class is disappearing or why society condones the exploitation of women and trivial lyrics about heart break. It’s simply easier to hopelessly try to better our own lives by going along with the current that are social norms than try to break free from it.
    I see Lorde’s song “Royals” as a mainstream attempt to call attention to the plethora of meaningless drivel out there. Without nice packaging, her message would have gotten lost amongst other pleas for social reform. Like how a business operates it doesn’t matter if you have a product that resolves a pressing issue, if there’s no strategy to make it known and, therefore, no consumer base, it’s essentially pointless. For the New York Times to recognize the irony of “Royals” rocketing to the Billboard’s Top 100, it shows me that Lorde’s message wasn’t missed. The first step is recognition and the hope that the music will not overpower the strength of the lyrics.

3. I agree in many fields of art not just music, even television, plays, and advertisement it is more about deliverance then content. Deliverance is key. It is what makes something, in this case music, memorable. You were correct in discussing how the catchy rhythm of the song is what prevails in the listener’s head. I do think you are taking for granted that while the tune is the first feature noticed, there are many listeners who actually comprehend the meaning behind the well-sung lyrics of songs. It’s probably true that people who turn on the radio don’t sit there and dissect the lyrics. But I am sure that after much repetition and after becoming familiar with the songs people begin to question its meaning. Same idea applies to television. People watch TV. shows to be entertained. It’s all very superficial. But eventually they can’t help but notice the themes of the show and the underlying messages. Music is meant to be about, as you said, “the way” the music is performed. The way it is performed is what helps to make the message stand out. I consider music a clever and successful way to drill ideas and/or themes into the minds of listeners. People claim music affects their mood. The lyrics are part of the composition of the music. If the sound of the song can affect mood, I think the words of the song can affect minds.

4. I like the way you gave sufficient amount of examples to back up the claim that listeners in society look for songs that are pleasing to the ears, instead of focusing on the lyrics and true intention behind the music. I am afraid to admit that I am part of the crowd also; when I choose my music, I pay more attention to the melody and tune rather than lyrics. I don’t think this phenomenon only exists in the music industry, however. From games to fashion, “stimulating” commercials and advertisements flood the market to sate the appetite of consumers. There are commercials one after another, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to remember ones you watched earlier. Especially since young age, children are constantly influenced by such media exposures, and this trend will most likely continue in the future. If society is able to move away from such notion, true progress can then occur.

5. I completely agree with you. I admit that I often listen to songs because of their catchy choruses and rhythms, rather than their meanings and actual content. I don’t particularly like songs by Miley Cyrus or Katy Perry because they make little sense, yet I continue to listen to them because they sound nice. Although I’ve failed to pay any attention to the lyrics of songs in the past, I think it is important that we understand the underlying messages that the artists are trying to convey. I’m not sure if we’ll ever be able to overcome our habit of listening to songs for their catchy tunes, but I do appreciate singers like Lorde who are attempting to discuss relevant and significant issues in their music.

6. I’m so glad you wrote about an article on Lorde because I’m obsessed with her song “Royals”. I completely agree with everything you wrote. I admit that I usually listen to songs that are catchy; however, ever since we analyzed Kendrick Lamar’s “Swimming Pools” and Lupe Fiasco’s “Around My Way” in English class, I have been paying more attention to lyrics.
    One of the main reasons I love “Royals” is the way Lorde combines catchy tunes and melodies with deep, meaningful lyrics. Unlike most mainstream artists, Lorde actually discusses significant issues occurring in society in her music. Her success isn’t based on selling her body, sex, etc.
    Lorde, herself, even admitted to being a feminist and disapproved of lyrics in many popular songs. She uses Selena Gomez’s “Come and Get It” as an example. The lyrics state “When you’re ready come and get it….I”ll be sitting right here, real patient.” Lorde said that she believes those lyrics create a poor portrayal of women and send a bad message to send to young girls. I definitely agree with Lorde and support what she stands for. The younger generations are easily influenced by music and media. It would be very beneficial if there were more artists like Lorde and more songs like “Royals”.

7. I found your post really interesting because, based on the article and song, my opinion was completely different. That being said, I do see exactly where you are coming from. I think it is completely true that in our society reaching that top spot depends mainly on hitting that perfect chorus that has every teenage girl echoing the lyrics throughout their day; however, in this particular case I do need to give Lorde some praise for her lyrics and the simplicity of her video. She did make an honest and well done attempt to create a song that incorporated both meaning and a great sound. Although a song with great lyrics but no real melody won’t make it anywhere, that is not to say that the lyricism of this song did not inspire others, or help Lorde in her success.
    It is way too simple of a view to take a developing 16 year old artist who has been working since the age of 12 and dismiss her because her chorus is really catchy. This girl has talent. She may become consumed by the flashy music video and face level choruses that characterize pop music today, but for now this song has depth beyond that of a good tune.

8. Wow. I really like the way you went deeply into the meaning of how we as a society don’t even interpret lyrics and only listen to them as mere pieces of sounds. I never knew that Kendrick Lamar’s song, “Swimming Pools”, is actually about alcoholism…and the same for the Lorde’s song. I guess I’m just another sucker who falls for mainstream music that’s popular, rather than meaningful music (then again, I only listen to music without words (EDM)).
    I’m glad you brought up an interesting point of how we recognize “lyrical geniuses” like Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry, yet neglect artists like Lorde who actually write songs with true societal issues that we overlook. While I do believe that some songs that are targeted to the youth should not reflect political and cultural issues/values, it is refreshing to have someone like Lorde be recognized by a wide range of audiences, including the New York Times. The fact that they are even writing this article, and reflecting to how “Royals” was ranked number one on Billboard, just goes to show that her message was not misunderstood or overlooked! But to look at it from a more realistic perspective, no junior high/high school teen is going to grasp the true meaning of a substantial song without a catchy tune.

9. I definitely put up a great point of society today. There are many people, sometimes even myself, who does not take interest in social and economical problems. To these people the problems are too far away from their life, and that these problems are issues to the government instead of themselves. Being a reflection of the society, the entertainments section easily picked up this social trend from the citizens. Like you said this causes song creators to focus more on the tunes and special effects, leaving the content and lyrics unattended. On the other hand, it is easier for people to remember the rhythm of a song than to remember the lyrics. You can hear people hum a song easily, but they get jammed just as quickly when they actually sing it. Of course music producer will exploit this characteristic by focusing on rhythms instead of lyrics.