Creative Project #2- A GIF of the Supernatural in The Nose

(Click to watch)

(Click to watch)

For my animation, I drew my inspiration from the theme of the supernatural and “dream-like” state in The Nose. In the beginning, my animation starts out with a weird background, representing the strange items and the hallucination aspect of the story. Later, stars begin to fly across the top of the screen to demonstrate that the story is beginning, or in my idea, the dream is beginning. Next, a nose flies by, (shocker), which is the nose running away from his face to go and gain power (notice that the nose is already, in fact, in uniform). Lastly, another nose flies by, and people in distress and panic begin to pop up to show the confusion and chaos that this nose has presented in the story. Once “help” has been provided, a cloud takes over the screen to finish the animation. Finally, a man wakes up and touches his face. He realizes that his nose is on his face and feels a sense of relief.

In my animation, I also wanted to portray the chaos and disorder that was reflected in both the story and opera by mixing in many different kinds of images that don’t really have much to do with each other. While Gogol intended to have an underlying tone of seriousness in his story, it was obviously portrayed as a comedy. People generally would not be so calm if they saw a nose walking around in the street, nor would they be so eager to help find the nose! I hope you enjoy my animation!

Final Collage:

117