Creative Project #2 – Absurdity, Disorientation, and Helplessness

Kevin Cheng - IDC

For my animation, I focused on the themes of absurdity, helplessness and disorientation. The absurdity, helplessness and disorientation that accompany a bad day influenced my choice of images. Personally when I have a bad day, it feels like I have completely lost control of everything and anything throughout the course of my day. My animation begins with Tom Riddle from the Harry Potter series, and then moves onto Voldemort. Then there is the insertion of the Wat meme, a thought that came to mind during my reading of the short story version of The Nose.

While I was reading the story, I was somewhat disoriented due to my sleep deprivation at the time, hence the drunk baby meme.  Furthermore when I reread the story in the morning, I still did not understand it. There is then an insertion of a cartoon nose that irritatingly moves back and forth in the image. When Kovaloff was attempting to reattach his nose, there was quite a sense of helplessness, represented by this irritating nose. Furthermore the retention of backgrounds of the various images was intentional, to remove any chance that the image would be aesthetically pleasing, which was the initial reaction I had while reading the novel. At the end of a bad day, all I ever want to do is just go to sleep so I can forget about that day.