Sound Sculpture – Mosie, JJ, Shixu

Moses Schrem, Jia Jun Wu, Shixu Zheng

Our sound sculpture tells a story of a boy who goes through the experiences of adolescence and immigration. The story begins with the boy feeling that his life is rapidly changing. As he turns older, he becomes more self-conscious and lonely. However, despite already facing so much change, he moves to another country. He experiences a major culture shock as he faces the new environment. The cacophony of people and noises is overwhelming, causing him to be lost in it. But soon he makes friends. They take him to all kinds of new places and he starts to feel the world open up to him.

Avicii. “Wake Me Up.” True. PRMD/Universal Island, 2013. MP3.

Emorej. “Disoriented.” Jamendo. 2 Nov. 2008. MP3.

Lost. “I’ve Got an Idea.” Jamendo. 7 Jan. 2007. MP3.

Morgantj. “Café Connection.” Creative Commons. 25 Jan. 2009. MP3.

Swift, Taylor. ”The Last Time.” Red. Big Machine, 2012. MP3.

The Working Hour. “Shoulda Never Let You Go.” Ellay. Bell-Roundel Music Group, 2011. MP3.

Sound Sculpture – Mosie, JJ, Shixu — 9 Comments

1. I like how you incorporated a happy ending that you did not mention to us in class. The sounds you chose really depicts the storyline that you are going with especially in the beginning where everything sounded strange and awkward.

2. Really awesome sound sculpture!! I love the foreign music and the swoosh sounds, I feel like I am inside the persons head. I also thought the transitions were excellent. Very impressed!

3. I really liked your soundtrack! The transformation was really great! The sudden shock of the new environment and the change in pace really depicted your story well. I also really liked the sound of the water in the beginning as well as the happy ending.

4. I really like your story! I also like the songs you used, especially the second and third, it really made me feel the boy’s loneliness. They way you combined the music was great!

5. This was really nice! I really liked how you incorporated different sound effects and exotic music. I feel like I could understand the story, even without your paragraph. The transitions were smooth. Nice job!

6. I really liked how you ended the piece on a happier note, which really does show that people are capable of adapting. The cacophony definitely conveyed the message of being overwhelmed.

7. I felt sadness and confusion while listening to your transformation, which is spot on with your prompt. I assume that immigrating to a new country causes confusion and even depression, so good job!

8. Really like how it started off! The speeding-up of the tempo and the choices of music were very good. Great job with this !