Creative Project #2: Confusion

TheNoseGif

While reading Gogol’s “The Nose,” I couldn’t help but feel the same amount of incredulity and disbelief while reading Kafka’s “The Metamorphosis.” Not only does it apply the same amount of weirdness and abstract thoughts, they also both have a single major disturbing event that symbolizes something. While I took the story to mean that society uses a mask to cover up and represent social status, much of the story’s effect was lost on me.

I took the background of a city street, and added Kovaloff’s nose falling from his face. On the opposite side, I put a picture of his nose in an uniform and hat, almost mirroring him exactly. However, my mood for this piece begins to show when the WAT meme starts appearing on the screen. In the end, the WAT meme overwhelms everything about this story. Although different themes such as identity loss, social status and submission can be taken from Gogol’s story, my mindset of confusion and overall disbelief blinded my analysis of the overall work.

Creative Project #2: Confusion — 3 Comments

1. Great animation! I can connect to your sense of incredulity and disbelief. I really like how you incorporated the WAT meme that overwhelms the entire piece. I also really like how you had so many WAT memes throughout the animation to further your point, even before they overwhelm the piece. I can also agree with your point that the absurdity of the story overwhelms other themes just like your WAT memes overwhelmed the animation.

2. Words can’t describe how much I love that meme. I don’t even know how such a facial expression can be physically possible! Your animation perfectly describes what went on inside my head as I read the story. I was oblivious to all the themes that were discussed in class because I was too focused on being confused. Furthermore, I wasn’t sure if I had read the story correctly. Did someone just let his nose slip under his….nose?

wut?

3. Woah! I love the way you incorporated memes into your animation. I actually find what you did especially funny because I had the same gut reaction to the short story and actually posted a similar meme in my own mood diary. I never understood (and still don’t) why anyone would create such a convoluted story to establish such a simple concept. I liked the opera because it pushed the concept of Kovalov being on the top to a humerous point, but the story just left me irritated. Good job capturing your reaction to the piece, and again I have to agree.