The Era of Consoles

LINK TO ARTICLE

It’s 2013. The first NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) was released in 1985. Playstation was released in 1994, and the first XBox was released in 2001. Not the first consoles by far, these three consoles represented a development into the new generation of video game consoles. These systems made video game consoles more common on a retail and consumer level, and more accessible to the public at large.

Many people would argue that video games are not art by any standards. Although inside the scope of this classroom, as we’ve seen with past articles, the general consensus is that anything can be art, and by extension video games. But in the outside world, many forms of non-traditional art can be seen as just that: non-art.

This article discusses the place of the consoles in this modern era of smartphones, and smart computers, and smart tablets, and smart watches, and smart gadgets. The writers start with a bold statement: “THE video game console is dead.” It’s almost as if they are announcing it to the world. Such a blunt and powerful statement for a geek at heart whose early forms of artistic and literary expression were through video games, on the medium of video game consoles. It hurts…

The writers argue that video games consoles can no longer exist as simply video game consoles. They are competing in an ever growing market of games. The next generation of video game consoles, Playstation 4 and the Xbox One, are competing to be entertainment systems. It’s ironic that the Playstation 2 once posed a threat to the computer entertainment system, but today, it’s the advent of personal computers and personal mini-computers in our pockets (smartphones) that threaten these new generations of consoles.

My question to you is: what does the demise of the video game console era propose for video games? Personally, I see a distinction between the games I’ve played on video game consoles and a game of Temple Run or Angry Birds. Some of my earliest literary and artistic pursuits (of course were books) but after that were in fact video games. Games like Metal Gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts, and Final Fantasy had complex and well written plots that required critical thinking and analysis skills to play and comprehend. In an essay I read for English class titled “Hidden Intellectualism” by Gerald Graff, he argues that mainstream academia has often dismissed and smothered practices and pursuits viewed as anti-intellectual. One of my favorite games, Metal Gear Solid provoked strong ideas about different social, political, and economic themes including but not limited to warfare, technology, genetic engineering, religion, peace, race, engineering, history, weapons, life and death. Below is a brief trailer to one of the games. Notice how it seems to be telling more of a story rather than mindless entertainment (which can also be considered art :] )

Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/15/arts/video-games/sizing-up-the-playstation-4-and-xbox-one.html?pagewanted=1&ref=arts&_r=0
Hidden Intellectualism if you are interested

The Era of Consoles — 15 Comments

1. Nabil, I totally agree with you on the idea that video games are art. Actually, I would feel like our view on the issue is the popular consensus because there is clearly the use of graphic design and theatrical plots. I somewhat disagree with what analysts have been saying about the downfall of video game consoles. Although phones are becoming ever-the-more innovative, they still do not provide that theatrical, connected feeling that a video game console can. One is so limited with a cell phone, especially with controlled factors such as the battery, that a cell phone is not a plausible competitor to video game systems. However, I do understand the idea of time and how it seems that with a more demanding job/school environment, Americans do not have as much time to play such consoles. This article: http://www.businessinsider.com/leisure-inequality-2012-5 talks about how the wealthy are finding less and less time for leisure. Although everyone isn’t wealthy, the article also shows decreasing numbers for all Americans. Therefore, I think that the market for video game consoles might face a setback but not enough to make these huge corporations go out of business.

2. It is really interesting to me that the video game console is apparently dead because people no longer have time for them. Think about that. Smartphones are providing something like video games on the go for people which is making them in higher demand than an Xbox. It is shocking to me, after growing up in a time where every guy I knew was playing Call of Duty and waiting for new Xbox games to come out, that the era is dying. I used to play Gamecube and Playstation and people are surprised if their friends still own these systems. As for video games being art, I think they are most definitely art because of the story they tell and the graphics they possess. It would be doing video games a disservice to say that they are not art because it is clear that they are.

3. I definitely think that video games are art. I think that the purposes of art include stirring up emotion, conveying a message, and getting people to think. Almost all of the games that I have ever played do at least one of these things. For example, RPGs like Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy definitely invoked emotions, and they also made me think whenever I was presented with newer, more difficult challenges the further I got into the game–for example, whenever a boss character defeated me, I would restart the battle knowing how that character fought, and what their weaknesses were, so the second or third time around I’d be able to finally beat them. It’s simple trial and error, but it teaches the value of persistence, in my opinion A game like The Sims, which I’m an avid fan of, teaches skills like planning whenever you build a house or make purchases for your Sims. Even a simple game like Tetris teaches skills like planning and working under pressure in unpredictable situations. Some games have complex plots with thought-provoking messages on controversial issues, but why do we still dismiss them simply because they’re a game? Reading is often a leisurely activity too, but no one is dismissing classic novels as being frivolous.

Finally, I don’t think video game consoles are dead. I think they’ve just evolved into a new form. As little as ten years ago, a cell phone was just that–a phone. Maybe there were a few pixelated games you could play on it, but for the most part it was only used for calls and texts and MAYBE limited Internet and email use. Now, cell “phone” might be an inaccurate name, seeing how modern phones are more like miniature computers. The games that are available for cell phones now are worlds away from the games that were available for cell phones ten years ago. However, cell phones and tablets are limited in what can be done with them, so unless more huge changes are made in cell phone soft- and hardware, I think game consoles will continue to be more popular for gaming.

4. I find what you said about how intellectual these games are to be interesting. I really struggled when I played Final Fantasy and Zelda because of how complex they were to navigate through. To be honest, I often had to google walkthroughs of the game at certain points. That could be just me, but needless to say, there’s a lot of connections to be made and problem solving involved. And as you said, video games are definitely not only intellectual, but an art. I know a few people who went to school for game designing. The graphics are so complicated that one of these people was specializing specifically in lighting in video games.
    One thing I hate is how new technology has to serve multiple purposes through one medium. I made sure to buy an old edition of my Kindle because otherwise I would not get a second of reading done, but rather check my email and play games on apps. It’s like businesses are accommodating people with seriously short attention spans. They should let consoles be consoles, ereaders be ereaders, etc. But I’m probably a hypocrite in saying that because I not only play a lot of games on my phone but have 200 other forms of multiple uses for it.

5. I like your view on this. I concur with the aspect of art in video games for sure. Although, I would be hesitant to mark the demise of video game consoles completely. In our current culture, we see a blending of different media such as video game apps that can be played on smartphones etc. but that reaches into the computer world and that of the whole electronic business as well. Everything seems to be able to do everything nowadays-play games, chat with people, access the Internet and shop and all. This might be responsible for the increased competition which in my opinion would just create a spark for innovation in the console world and beyond (though, what more can we expect these things to do?) it will be interesting to see the progression of the video game industry in years to come. Personally, I just bought a PS3. I’m okay with “older” models of things. I also have an IPhone 4S which I’m perfectly happy with. Newer isn’t always better. There can be marginal improvements in the electronics, but we still buy the newest and latest (but that’s a whole another argument). I guess I’ll go play some PS3 now 🙂

6. I believe that video games are definitely art, for both its design and its plots. As shown in this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzJXLXLKHpg, a lot of time, effort, and ability is put into concept art. And that’s just one skill of the various others necessarily to create a fully functioning video game. Certainly, smartphones and its game apps could be seen as video games in our pockets, but it lacks the offer of complexity that traditional gaming consoles have. I think reaching level 455 on Candy Crush takes addiction and determination, but playing Pokemon or Animal Crossing takes commitment. There are various installments to a gaming series, like Fire Emblem and Ace Attorney, because of the growing plot. I don’t think video game consoles are dead because gamers will keep playing the games to enjoy the development of its story.

7. I don’t believe that video game consoles are on the verge of becoming extinct anytime soon. They definitely aren’t as popular as a couple of years ago but I think that has something to do with our increasingly limited time for leisurely activities. Video game consoles will always be relevant to those who value classic gaming no matter how many new action-game apps come out. However I do believe that increased competition from phones will lead to some changes in the gaming industry. This article (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/20/technology/this-is-war-for-a-game-industrys-soul.html?ref=video-games) tells of how the industry is adapting to the ever increasing number of apps that are being preferred over long-range gaming systems since they are more suited to a busy lifestyle. These corporations face a long road ahead of them but I believe that they will adapt as many industries have in the past when faced with changing times.

8. I have thought for a long time that video games are nothing but non-art entertainment systems, but that view has changed over the past few months. Seeing how nuanced and realistic some video games are has totally altered my opinion of them. Whether it be the faces of athletes in sports game or the reaction to people getting robbed in Grand Theft Auto, the effort and precision put into each aspect of video games is remarkable. The graphical features, along with the soundtracks and 3-D components of video games has certainly led me to believe that video games are an art.

As for the article you brought that claims video consoles are dead, I disagree with that opinion. So many people of all ages across the world view there video consoles as an escape, a form of entertainment, or a personal way to challenge themselves mentally. No matter how convenient gaming has become (due to the smartphone) too many people love their XBox or Playstation, and those companies are only improving their systems.

If you need any more proof for the strength of video game consoles, look at the record breaking sales of the newest Grand Theft Auto, which is played on a gaming console:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/09/20/grand-theft-auto-v-crosses-1b-in-sales-biggest-entertainment-launch-in-history/

9. It really is kind of scary how fast technology gets replaced. It seems like just yesterday the idea of the PSP was game changing, pun intended, and now any of those games can be played on our phone. It seems that it doesn’t even pay to keep up with the systems because the next one is minutes away. I do really like the idea of an all in one system like Xbox One, but I just don’t believe that will be the last product, there will always be a new one. The graphics on all of these new products really are a work of art however. It has changed the idea of a brainless activity into a creative life like experience that can he done between friends. I just wish that there becomes on product that we can get used to and stick with for a long time.

10. I do not believe that gaming consoles are no longer “THE” video game consoles. If anything, gaming consoles have become more relevant than ever. Millions of new games, whether they be big blockbusters like COD or indie games like Journey, gaming is doing fantastic. Broadening the XBOX One and PS4’s capabilities are allowing gaming to reach new audiences. The way gaming is going, the new consoles are attempting to become the premier aspect of home media. All of the television and applications only add to the console’s gaming capabilities. Until smart phones can handle the intense and complex games of consoles and PC, mobile gaming will not be able to match consoles for quality. People who buy consoles know that they will be receiving the most optimum gaming experience that is available to the public. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/11/15/4468942/new-sony-microsoft-consoles-face.html#.UokgdWRxsVk

11. I don’t think the age of video games is over. New consoles like the XBox One and PlayStation 4 are just being released and many people are still purchasing and playing them. In my opinion, video games are interactive art pieces. For example, Bastion has unimaginable visuals and sounds, The Walking Dead has an amazingly emotional story, and NBA 2K offers an immersion into professional sports. Art doesn’t have to be just still life paintings or sculptures. Of course, opinions of whether something is art will be different for everyone, but I think it’s unjustified if a game like Beyond: Two Souls were to be push aside as JUST another video game.

12. I highly agree with you Nabil, I find that game were such an important part of my life and it is the sole piece of equipment that allowed me to be creative. I wasnt much of a drawer nor did I get the chance to play music, but video games I had in abundance. I was able to play as much games as I needed and I could feel like I was creating something with the building blocks being the game itself. I think the demise of the console would be a devastating hit on many kids and older people who enjoyed the consoles since they were kids. It, for many, was a place to escape to because there was a sense of connection between everyone through the platform. Games on our smart devices are as well connected nor do they give us the same satisfaction of beating a really difficult level would. It is through that platforms that gave even me a place in my classroom and a place in school because I could strike up a conversation without a problem about video games. Luckily, however, the consoles are still staying strong and I think they have a while before they are truly dead. Based on this article about PS4 having over a million consoles sold in one day proves that the consoles of the next generations are probably being engineered right now.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2013/11/17/sony-sells-1-million-playstation-4s/3618217/

13. I think this article proves just how much technology is advancing. Because of this, it’s allowing people to be lazy more and more often. And our population loves to sit on our asses all day if we could. And when we carry around our smart phones everywhere we go, we can basically bring with us anything we want, including games. So of course it’s easy to see how there is a transition from video game consoles to smartphones. But at the same time, I think there is still a huge video game fan base and it isn’t dying out. I can totally see why the video game console numbers aren’t as large as they used to be, but I don’t know if they’re necessarily dead either. In the article “New Consoles on the Way, but Gaming Isn’t the Same” by Nick Wingfield, the numbers of the sales clearly portray a decrease in revenue, but still prove that it’s a profitable and popular industry. Last year, console game sales were $24.9 billion which is a drop from $29.4 billion in 2008. The demand for the new consoles prove that there is still hope. The preorders for the Xbox One are already sold out and they expect to have a limited quality available in stores when it goes they go on sale November 22 as well.

14. I can understand how this era of consoles is at a risk, but I think with the emergence of new consoles such as the PS4 and the XboxOne, this risk will greatly decrease. Video game consoles are used for much more than playing games, such as viewing movies and browsing the internet. This transformation from the older consoles is what allows for the modern technological era to advance, and it draws a large group of people varying different ages. I personally think that games with a heavy emphasis on plot and story line is more considered art than the games like Angry Birds or Zombies Vs. Plants. Even though strategic thinking is required, there is no plot, just different levels to complete. Art should make people think in a way beyond their normal capacity, and drawing them further into a game does exactly that. Metal Gear Solid 4 is a good example of this because while it requires the player to pass each mission, the game relies heavily on the plot that each mission further introduces. This is what makes the game console era unique because over the years, many games focused on plot and it is more recently that smaller, no storyline based games have drawn the players in because of the wide spread usage of tablets and smartphones. I believe that video games will continue to spread and revolutionize and that this so called end of an era will not happen any time soon.

15. First off, considering video games as art was an interesting thought to me, but yes, I agree, they most definitely are. I really enjoyed this article because it’s (video games dying out) something that I haven’t really thought about, but now after reading this, I’ve come to realize it’s completely accurate. Like Jaclyn said, just a few years ago, every guy I knew spent their free time playing Call of Duty. I still know people who play video games, but definitely not as much. I thought perhaps it’s because these guys have gotten older and found priorities in other things, but after reading this it makes more sense that it’s just the community as a whole that’s fading out. I do think it has to do with the advancement of technology – people play so many games on their phones now, perhaps because of the easier access.

Here’s a really interesting article from CNN about the release of Xbox One and Playstation 4 and the “new console war.” http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/22/tech/gaming-gadgets/xbox-one-launch/