Animation

Ehlun

In my animation I incorporated three major motifs present in Nosferatu. The first was shadows. The picture of the sunset (the shadows) represents the balance between light and dark, which is quite apparent in Nosferatu. The shadow is our dark side, our personal receptacle for things we are uncomfortable with, our fears, and inhibitions. Shadows are dark, mysterious, and a very important aspect of Nosferatu. For example, when he walks toward the camera at a threatening angle and casts eerie shadows on the castle walls. Next, I brought in a theme of female submission coupled with male dominance. In Nosferatu, Ellen is portrayed as weak, helpless, and has absolutely no say in this particular scene when Hutton says he has to leave right away for business and be gone a very long time. Ellen also gives herself to the vampire one night so that he will be with her when the sun rises and so will be destroyed. My photograph of the two girls (taken during an anti human trafficking photoshoot) portrays male dominance and female submission. The final picture (the guy on the bike), represents power. He is present in almost every second of this gif, and takes the attention of the viewer. Similarly,  every time Nosferatu enters from some unknown space, or randomly appears with the help of special effects,  there’s an overwhelming sense of power to his stillness. The film’s most “terrifying” images are those of minimal movement. (Nosferatu’s face through the cracks of his coffin)