Creative Project #3

IDCPROJECT

My animation uses a series of photographs from a trip to the beach and quotes from Pablo Neruda’s “Sonnet LXVI” to explore my love-hate relationship with Long Island. I begin with a simple beach landscape that depicts Long Island’s natural beauty and the quote, “I do not love you except because I love you,” to establish a parallel between the simplicity of the island’s beauty and my love for it. After this, I also establish my hatred for Long Island with the lines, “I [also] hate you and hating you, I bend to you,” at which point the image’s beauty is destructed. A frenzied girl runs in circles, the colors are desaturated, and in another beach landscape, a city skyline blocks the natural beauty of the horizon line with its artificiality. I end my animation with Neruda’s line, “I do not see you, but I love you blindly,” to establish that despite moving to the city and experiencing the city’s wonders and exciting opportunities, my heart still longs for Long Island.

IDC0041 IDC0066

Creative Project #3 — 1 Comment

1. I really like the personal connection you made to this project! It kind of tied everything together, giving it a purpose. The animation itself is really beautiful; I liked your usage of Neruda’s poetry in addition to the images.