Creative Project #3 – Sound Transformation

This music conveys a story of love. It illustrates the typical bad boy who forgets his ways once he encounters the love of his life. The music starts off aggressively, the way the boy comes off to the world. It then intensifies and becomes harsh, portraying the rough journey of the boy’s life and the chaos he stirs. Then it quiets down and you can hear the sound of passing cars in the street. He examines his life but in seeing no hope continues his ways. However, there is an instant shift once he runs into the girl who will change his ways forever.

We wanted to convey the transformation within a difficult character as they struggle to identify with their complex nature when they are faced with an exalting emotion. The spy music demonstrates his willingness to keep searching for the girl, even if his typical bad boy type personality doesn’t suggest he would be so intent on looking for her. The sudden “Hi” dialogue represents that ordinary first encounter, which shows this transformation the boy has undergone throughout his quest to find the love of his life. We wanted to broaden this definition of transformation and allow listeners to create their own meaning of how an unexpected event or situation can alter a person’s personality.

Khrystyna Melnyk – Carmela Ruffo – Nicole-Amanda Merchan

Works Cited
Lai, Francis. “Where Do I Begin?” Rec. 1970. N.d. MP3.
Music For Your Media. “Spy.” Rec. 29 Sept. 2013. Orchestral Cinematic Music. N.d. MP3.
“Series Soundtrack 023.” Rec. 28 Apr. 2013. Cinematic Peaceful Lovely Grand Piano Wedding Theme. RoyaltyFreeMusic, n.d. MP3.
Snook. “Bird of Pain.” Rec. 18 June 2008. N.d. MP3.
Snook. “Standard.” Rec. 18 June 2008. N.d. MP3.
(Street noise and speaking done by friends)

Creative Project #3 – Sound Transformation — 3 Comments

1. I really liked the loud and punk-like music you used to portray the stereotypical bad boy persona and the sudden stop. To me this illustrated just how large an impact seeing the girl had on the boy, it didn’t really come off as a period of reflection to me.
    The detective music seemed to as though the boy was now searching for the girl who he had lost sight of in the midst of traffic. The soft music that follows their encounter as denoted by the “Hi”‘s seemed to symbolize the sweet honeymoon phase of the beginning of the relationship between the two. I’m a bit confused concerning the music towards the end however…I can’t really get a grasp as to how it relates to the theme and storyline that you are trying to convey…
    Overall I really liked the progression of the plot and much of the music and effects you used really drove the tone of the theme across.

2. During the beginning of your sound sculpture, I could most definitely envision of a typical bad boy in my mind based off the music. Like Christine said, the sudden pause in the music helped intensify his encounter with the girl. The music towards the end was a huge difference to the music from the beginning, which definitely shows how the girl and being in love changed this bad boy’s life. One thing I particularly liked was the contrast in the chaos and the quiet. I think you guys did a good job making this sound sculpture!

3. I liked your sound sculpture and I could tell a lot of effort was put into finding the right songs. In the beginning, the harsh music really portrayed the vibe a bad boy gives off to the world. I couldn’t exactly tell what the passing of the cars was supposed to convey, but once I read your description it made more sense. The slowing down of the music along with the exchange of “Hi” between the boy and girl was a great transition because it showed the soft side of the boy. Nice upbeat ending!