Feature: Broadway Bares, Bears, and Cares

Curtain call.  The actors all line up, clasp hands, and give their final bow.  Suddenly a cast member steps forward, out of line, and speaks- ceasing audience applause.  Breaking character?  Yes, but for a good cause.  He is describing Broadway Cares a non-profit organization that benefits HIV/AIDS related causes as well as Women’s health initiatives and others.  They sell Playbills signed by the cast, bracelets made of broken guitar strings (I had just finished seeing Once the Musical,) and remind you that there is a friendly competition to see who can raise the most money between all of the productions.  As you are being shoved by a mob of people out of the theatre and onto the street, you pass by  a woman with a silver bucket, holding signed Playbills.  The cast’s mark in a silvery gray, protected by a thin film of plastic.

Created in 1987, the organization has since raised 225 million dollars for over 450 AIDS and family service organizations across the country.  The organization is actually a conglomerate of two groups fighting or the same cause- Equity Fights AIDS, created by the Actor’s Equity Union, and Broadway Cares, created by the Producer’s Group came together in 1993 to for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS.  It was created in response to the AIDS epidemic and the organization continues to do great work in this area.  They also donate money to natural disaster causes- more recently the disaster relief efforts in the Philippines after super typhoon Haiyan.

Though Broadway Cares does not do any work besides fundraising for other organizations, they do a great job of raising awareness throughout the New York City area and the broadway community.  The organization is one of the largest, non-profit fundraisers for this cause.  It also provides grants as well as donates to family service organizations.  The two major time periods for their fundraising, the Fall and Spring, happen to be some of the most popular tourist times in the city.  Thus Broadway cares is well known from locals and tourists alike.

However, not everyone agrees with asking patrons for donations after the show.  Some actors will refuse to break character even after curtain call, while others resist because they do not believe in asking their patrons for more money.  And in the past, fundraising efforts have been diminished by conflict within the theatre community.  The Broadway stagehand strike in 2007 took away thirteen critical fundraising days from the organization during its fall fundraising period.  Also, some productions push harder for donations, selling signed memorabilia, rubber bracelets, and other items, while some productions just ask for donations as they leave the theatre.  The success of the program is solely based on the dedication of the productions involved.

Aside from Broadway Cares weeks, Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS also hosts a variety of events in New York City year round. “Broadway Bares” like its name implies, is a bit more risqué, where Broadway actors and actresses perform in a burlesque themed show to raise funds for the organization.  This yearly event, created in 1992, has raised over six million dollars for AIDS prevention, awareness, and treatment. For families there was “Broadway Bears.”  Not to be confused with its more adult homonym, this program auctions off stuffed teddy bears outfitted in hand made costumes.  The elaborate designs by the best of Broadway’s costume designers, have embodied adored characters from a variety of Broadway shows, past and present.  The program just finished its fifteen year stint with over two million dollars raised.   The 643 bears sold embodied many loved characters through Broadway history from the musical Wicked’s Elphaba to (the distant memory of) Cats’ Skimbleshanks.  In addition, many bears auctioned off were signed by notable members of the involved cast.

In an annual flea market during the summer time, the New York Broadway community comes together to sell and auction off memorabilia, signed effects, playbills, tickets, and special passes all to raise money for the cause.  It is one of the most popular events Broadway Cares hosts in New York City because of its lack of exclusivity. For one day anyone can go to Schubert Alley (West 44th Street) and stroll through the stands selling these items.  There are even autograph booths, meet and greet opportunities, and more.  This past year’s event raised a total of $631,222.  One of the highest bid items was a walk on spot in the musical Kinky Boots that went for $8,250.  Some other notable items being sold for charity were musical phrases handwritten and signed by Broadway composers, opening night packages, and after party passes.  Again there is some friendly competition between productions to see who can raise the most money for the organization.   The flea market and grand auction boast great attendance and is heralded as “the biggest day for Broadway fans.”

Broadway Cares also shares lots of success not only in New York City, but across the country.  Productions all across the US are involved and have contributed to the great work that this organization does.  Theatre communities across the country participate in raising funds for Broadway Cares, from Broadway in Los Angeles, to smaller theaters in Pennsylvania.

Over the years, Broadway Cares has shown is ability to unite a community and act.  This organization reminds us that the Broadway community, not just in New York, but across the nation, share a common bond.  Through the fundraising efforts of Broadway Cares, a countless number of lives have been touched and benefited.  As I am being pushed out of the theatre by the crowds behind me, I quickly fumble for my wallet and put five dollars in the silver bucket the usher is holding.  She smiles and hands me a Playbill wrapped in plastic and the glitter of signatures across the front and I smile as I clutch my piece of Broadway.

**Sorry this was late. I was sick this past week.

Feature: Broadway Bares, Bears, and Cares — 1 Comment

1. I am delighted to hear about the ways in which Broadway shows act charitable. I personally have never gone to a play where Broadway Cares was active, so I wonder how large in scale the organization really is. What they do sounds very cool and their ability to raise $225 million since its creation is fantastic. I actually found an example of a play in New Hope, Pennsylvania that actually raised $165000 alone in the Bucks County Cabaret. That is a prime example of what I feel makes these organizations look fantastic. I can, however, understand why there is controversy about Broadway Cares. It does seem awkward for actors to break character in front of patrons. Maybe the reason why I have never seen this happen at a play before is because the people running the play must feel that it is not courteous to patrons. I hope that more plays become involved with Broadway Cares, raising money for causes that matter.
    http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Bucks-County-Cabaret-with-Alan-Cumming-Raises-Over-165000-for-Broadway-CaresEquity-Fights-Aids-20131022