Star Types and Stereotypes–Maggie Q and Lucy Liu: Asian-Americans as Leading Ladies

[Article]

When I watch a television show or a movie, something that I tend to notice are the races of the characters, and more importantly, whether their role is affected by stereotypes associated with their race. Even in a world that many often refer to as “post-racial” (a description I would very much argue against), there is a woeful lack of representation for historically marginalized groups, such as racial minorities and gender and sexual minorities. In many TV shows, the main cast is primarily, if not exclusively, white/heterosexual/cisgender (which means the opposite of transgender, i.e, they are comfortable with the gender they were born as). Some will include one or two racial minorities, or perhaps a gay person, and even if it’s not written that way, you still get the impression that those few characters are there so the show can claim to be diverse–a.k.a. tokenism. Personally, I think that tokenism might be worse than not including any minority characters at all, since what tokenism does is reduce a character to their physical traits, making them “the black character” or “the gay character”, rather than letting them be defined by their words, actions, personality, and experiences, which are all the things that truly make a person who they are.

It’s refreshing, then, to see casts of TV shows include more actors of diverse ethnicities in their casts, especially their main casts. The article that I linked above focuses in particular on Maggie Q, star of CW’s series Nikita, a show about a reluctant assassin, and Lucy Liu, co-star of CBS’ Elementary, a modern spin on the Sherlock Holmes books. Both actresses are Asian-American and both are central characters in their shows.

According to the NYT article, both characters are “noncartoonish, reasonably complex, multidimensional.” I don’t know much about Nikita, but the New York Times has this to say: “A lot of effort has gone into humanizing Nikita, and making her a sisterly or even maternal figure for the younger assassin Alex (Lyndsy Fonseca), and the emphasis on violent action has decreased over the show’s run.” This is significant for Maggie Q’s role as a woman as well, as oftentimes in literature and film, a “strong female character” is not allowed to express anything typically considered feminine. She’s not allowed to be maternal, or show weakness, or cry–she must be full-on, 100% warrior queen, all of the time. This is hardly an improvement on the weeping, helpless damsel in distress, as both archetypes pigeonhole women into only being that archetype, without letting them be human.

In Elementary, Lucy Liu plays Joan Watson, a gender-bent John Watson, a role traditionally occupied by white actors. Once again, her portrayal of this character is significant since she is not only Asian-American, but also a woman. I know that on Tumblr, a blogging website I go on often, there was a lot of enthusiastic support for Lucy Liu taking on this role, but also some backlash from people who seemed to think that John Watson should only be played by white men. However small that backlash was compared to the support, it only highlights the need for more women in leading roles, especially women who are not strictly Caucasian.
Elementary, in my opinion, has done a good job avoiding stereotypes and including a diverse cast–one supporting character is a transgender woman, and two others are black men. These characters are all well-written, and their characterization does not depend on their gender or race. Sexism is also smacked down in at least one instance, with Joan openly and clearly criticizing Sherlock for implying that Joan’s irritation is due to her hormones.

However, the show does have some “formulaic elements.” Joan, for example, is socially awkward and high-achieving; these two traits are not bad, but they do echo the “Asian nerd” stereotype often seen in media. Nikita, who is ruthless, lethal, and capable of violence “while wearing tight, microscopic outfits,” alludes to the dragon lady or ninja killer images that are also common portrayals of Asian women in entertainment.

Overall, though, their characters are still complex and well-rounded, and serve a more important purpose than simply being “the Asian/girl character,” which is a trend that will hopefully continue to grow.

Star Types and Stereotypes–Maggie Q and Lucy Liu: Asian-Americans as Leading Ladies — 9 Comments

1. I like how actors are no longer being put in roles solely because they can fit into certain stereotypes. Lucy Liu’s character in Elementary seems fairly complex and goes beyond usual stereotypes tacked on to Asian people. I feel that television has become more accepting of different races and cultures over the last couple years. Modern Family does this very well as the show is full of people from different groups that have depth to their characters. I believe that the American public has gotten extremely sensitive about racism and discrimination lately. I found an article about several examples of racism in television recently and one I am sure everyone knows is what happened to Paula Deen. She made a comment and she paid the price for it. There is no mercy for racists on television, so why should writing for television shows be any different. I would expect television to begin to abandon stereotypes and just focus on character development.http://www.patheos.com/blogs/geekgoesrogue/2013/07/racism-in-the-screen-how-television-can-spark-conversation/

2. I have the same problem when I watch TV – I look at who the directors cast. What is worse, I sometimes count the leads in the show to make sure it’s the same number of males and females. Some famous TV sitcoms like Friends or How I Met Your Mother do a good job matching the numbers of males and females, but fail in the racial aspect – both casts are entirely white. How I Met Your Mother, on the one hand, has the main actor, Barney, have a gay black brother, and I thought that was awesome. The way they treated the reason for this was mediocre at best, but it was fine for the show. However, other popular shows are the same way: House, MD had only one black doctor, NCIS had all white main agents, The Big Bang Theory had all white actors and an Indian actor whose character couldn’t talk to women without getting drunk and had the stereotypical strict parents who tried to set him up with any good Indian girl. What I found refreshing was Modern Family, a sitcom in its second season, “their family unit alone breaks molds that network sitcoms haven’t largely tackled, including a white gay couple with an adopted Asian baby along with a grumpy, divorced senior citizen with a hot Latina wife who is far younger than he is and her son. Then there is the traditional, cookie cutter family with the husband, stay at home wife, and their three kids, too.”

3. I also watch out for races of characters on television shows and ask if they were chosen for this role to make the show more diverse for the viewer, and attract a wider audience. I think it is a great improvement in entertainment when an actor is given a role that does not put them in a situation where they become the “asian character” or “gay character.” Having an actor take a role purely on their ability and what their personality and skill brings to a show is much more relatable and fun to watch then a “token” character. Tokenism in entertainment is an issue that must be felt with, it is not enough to see a character of a specific race appear in a few episodes of a show, an portray some stereotypes. People would much prefer a character who stands alone as a person who just so happens to be a particular race. Here is an article about the fight on tokenism.
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2002/nov/12/radio.raceintheuk

4. Very impressively written, you certainly opened up my eyes to some of the wrongness with tolkenism which I thought at first would be a good thing. The way you put it however, saying that the character becomes defined by their one trait is 100% true and a new outlook on the issue for me. Overall this article shows that people can be represented more fully in entertainment, especially minority groups. I am also impressed that an Asian woman is playing John Watson, due to the fact Sherlock Holmes is set in old timey-England. This reminded me of an article I read a week or two ago about a transgender model wanting to become a Victoria secret angel http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/12/carmen-carrera-victorias-secret-transgender_n_4260557.html
    its a good read and worth it to check it out

5. I too, like most people, think there is a transition happening in the movie industry that’s allowing for a diverse cast that breaks through many stereotypes associated with race and gender. In addition to that, there are movies that humanize certain archetypes that have nothing to do with race, but more to do with social class. For example, in The Girlfriend Experience, the protagonist is a prostitute who is in a long-term relationship. Anyone in that industry is often demoralized and a lot of people tend to forget that they’re people too. In Roger Ebert’s review of the movie, he talks about human nature, and all the stereotypes vanish and we see what it’s like to live from her point of view, which is something that’s not usually shown in Hollywood films, or if it is, it’s disguised and degrades the industry. So it was definitely refreshing to see a movie that does the opposite. Ebert’s review can be read here: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-girlfriend-experience-2009.

6. I can’t wait for the day when we won’t even blink an eye when minority groups are well represented in Hollywood. I completely agree with you that we are not a ‘post-race’ society: the very idea that this article was written proves that. If it’s still a big deal that Asian American women are receiving roles then clearly we have a ways to go.
    That being said, I am very glad of the progress that this article shows. I love the show Holmes and I have absolutely no problem with Watson begin portrayed by an Asian-American female so long as the acting is good. I remember when it was first announced that Lucy Liu would be playing Watson and the controversy that it caused. Hopefully by now fans of the show will be able to respect her as an actress and her portrayal of Holmes’ smart and sarcastic sidekick.

7. This is a great point that is often overlooked or ignored, and it can be easy to ignore. I thought the issues you brought up are particularly good points. Why do we accept these niche summaries as characters on tv shows? Isn’t it all very high school clique-ish? I can completely relate to the points that you brought up about Maggie Q and Lucy Liu. As an asian-american woman, I am always conflicted by (rare) occasions I am faced with an asian character on television. Frankly, I am tired of the kung-fu, dragon, karate, Jackie Chan-type cookie cutter of Asians in film. Great article!

8. I never knew about Tokenism, so thank you for teaching me something new. I do agree with you and do feel the need for roles to be expanded in television and that more “types” of people can be included because we can have not just a show of people, but an ensemble of great actors. This would be especially awesome if we could have a show that has every type of person, except a white person. I think that could really show a new way we view some shows and the characters depicted in them. This article from Buzzfeed really opens up some radical statistics that show that more people from different ethnicities and genders are growing, but have yet to make up a fair share of how they are really represented in America.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/race-and-gender-diversity-on-television-vs-in-the-united-sta
    The craziest part is that theyre so little asians or latinas on TV, 6%, when they really make up 25% of the total population of America. I think it’s time to start writing my new show.