Professor Lee Quinby – Spring 2013

Silicone Genitalia

Silicone Genitalia

There was something too flash about my visit to the Museum of Sex today. Perhaps I’m still exhausted from midterms, but I was unnerved by the awkward reactions people had–myself included. I walked by three women who were fascinated by the human models we could touch. One asks the other two, “You’d this would be a good photo-op?” while grabbing the penis of the male model. Amused I giggled and startled the woman. She whisked around and quickly looked embarrassed  I thought to myself that it was amazing how easily people get embarrassed the expression of sexuality. Periodically, a group of Middle Eastern men tripped over themselves, pointing fingers and giggling excitedly at the diagrams, pictures and exhibits we saw. I tried to smile to show that I enjoyed their gaiety, but I felt something was at a loss at the museum.

It’s featured exhibitions, although many contain elements of eroticism and sensuality, have this sense of exhibitionism for pure entertainment value (for me, at least). I don’t say that I’m an expert on American sexuality (I’ve only reached the first half of the course!). But I wanted a deeper analysis of human and animal sex as they relate to our senses of intimacy, fear and sexuality. Some part of me wanted a Foucauldian analysis of the museum, a thorough understanding of our deployment of sexuality. I found myself making conclusions and rationalizing our collective choices in which discourses survive in our context, but I wish the museum had provided that for me. I generally ask for too much, but all in all, I hope to inspire more conversations on the museum beyond the references to “Come Fuck Me Heels” and Cock and Ball Torture.

One Response to “Silicone Genitalia”

1. Sophia Says:

Point taken (my hollow reference to “learning” the “CMF acronym). I think you’re really on point in your perception of MoSex. It’s definitely positive that this museum exists, but I think we can and should expect more from it. It should not be simply “show and tell” and giggle and gasp; it should question, challenge, and prompt us to reconsider the changing relationships people have had to sexuality throughout history.