Professor Lee Quinby – Spring 2013

“The Fall of the Soviet Union” by Jeffrey Lewis

I mentioned in my blog post having experienced a vocabular coincidence between reading Sula and “Angels in America.” I had to look up the word ‘gabardine’ (a strong and smooth fabric) when reading the former, where it was used to describe the pants worn by Ajax and the Edna Finch ice cream parlor crew. Subsequently, it became my Word of the Week, so you can only imagine my ecstasy after reading it in Kushner as well: “…I feel like Sid the Yid, you know I mean like Woody Allen in Annie Hall, with the payess and the gabardine coat…” (91).

Anyway, I witnessed another awesome vocabular coincidence last night at the Brooklyn Folk Festival during my friend Jeffrey Lewis’ set. Jeffrey is an amazing songwriter, illustrator and makes very politically driven art, just like Morrison and Kushner! Here is a video/animation he made for The History Channel: The Fall of the Soviet Union, which references ‘perestroika.’ (He made a second video for The History Channel about Sitting Bull that I like even better, if you’re interested.)

Tags: , ,

One Response to ““The Fall of the Soviet Union” by Jeffrey Lewis”

1. Lee Quinby Says:

Hi Sophia,

This video is terrific–please show it to the class today.