Professor Lee Quinby – Spring 2013

The Androgynous Author

The Androgynous Author

In last week’s class, Lee proposed a great question that we didn’t talk too much about, so I’ve decided to use it as the launch point for this week’s readings (particularly that of the last two books of Middlesex). The question was something along these lines: Is it important for an author to have an element of androgyny in his or her writing style? Eugenides obviously has a very androgynous style. He is able to portray Callie and Cal in distinctly feminine and masculine ways, respectively. In fact, while reading about Cal’s venture to California, I was actually able to sense a gradual shift in perspective from that of a female to a male. As Cal becomes more comfortable in his newfound manhood, the reader transitions with him.

But why is this? I cannot pinpoint it myself. There is nothing specific in the language or storytelling that I caught that indicated that this is feminine and this is masculine. Rather, I think Eugenides natural androgyny in his writing allows the reader to see both masculine and feminine traits simultaneously. Therefore, when Callie identifies as female, the reader identifies the perspective as female and when Cal identifies as a man, the reader doesn’t struggle to accept this male perspective.

I personally find androgyny to be a fantastic trait in any artist (be it a writer, an actor, a dancer, etc.). While I don’t think it has to be a requirement, I think it helps to tell unique stories—like that of Middlesex—in a very natural way. Androgyny adds an element of truth to a story—particularly with regards to stories told from third person perspectives as it allows for both male and female characters to be portrayed in equal honesty. And, in the case of Middlesex, this androgyny helps to give both Callie and Cal their due as one character.

Speaking of honesty and truth, another thing that struck me about Middlesex was the Foucauldian relationship between truth and scientia sexualis, which was very prevalent in the last two books of the novel. Callie lies about her attraction to females, which ends up skewing Dr. Luce’s opinion so that he deduces she should remain female. But it is not until Callie actually sees the scientific report that the truth comes pouring out and she quickly assumes her true identity as a male. Scientia sexualis aims to draw the truth out of people and in this case it still succeeds even when the truth is not originally divulged.

Furthermore, the evidence of scientia sexualis’ work (that is, the creation of Cal, a male) also helps draw the truth out of Desdemona. When faced with the knowledge that Cal’s condition was caused by her relationship with Lefty, she finally reveals her truth, having kept it a secret her entire life. This, again, is evidence of the power scientia sexualis holds and its relationship to truth and identity within that truth.

Tags: , , , , ,