Sexy Chicas XOXO shout out art

Our New York City Tourist Guide

A Raven.. and More

December7

(Fred Tomaselli. Big Raven, 2008. Acrylic, photocollage, and resin on wood panel, 84 x 72 in.)

As I walked around the Brooklyn Museum, this unique painting by Fred Tomaselli caught my eye. It combines a bird with the universe to create highly stylized, eye-popping compositions. Big Raven is inspired by the American Gothic tradition and the poetry of Edgar Allan Poe according to the artist’s statement. It lo0ks like a picture in folk-tales or in front of the psychic center, imaginative and distinctive. The raven seems like it’s right in the middle of the universe. The background shines with the sun and the various types of stars, which eventually connects to the raven’s eye and body. Even though its components are all nature (bird, sun, rock, etc), its impression is rather scientific and reminds me of astronomy and astrology. It doesn’t have the usual calm and relaxed perception of nature. I think this painting eventually conveys the connection between an individual and the universe. However, the raven is holding tightly to the rock as if it wants to establish its identity as a bird, not as part of the universe, which shows the nature of human personality.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: