illustrated feature-Fernando Lopez

[display_podcast]

Going to the Queens museum was like entering a colorfully mini and huge wonderland. When first entering the museum I was surprised to see many small art works. The works looked like models and had many small parts to them. The miniature models of landscapes and buildings were made by children ranging from ages 9 to age 16. This surprised me how creative kids could be.  Also in the museum was this huge structure that looked like giant colored sticks leaning against each other, creating a pyramid or something similar. The structure was bigger than me and it was interesting to see how this structure was in the middle of the same room of the small miniature models. I almost felt like one of those miniature models compared to the larger artwork.

In the museum there was also a section on the World fair that took place from 1964 to 1965. And as part of the exhibit they had footage playing from the world fair as well as a huge ship that looked to be made of cardboard and other materials. To represent water for the sinking ship it looked like coiled wire was used.

What stood out most on my trip to the museum was the panorama of New York City. It was Amazing and I felt like a giant more than I did already, given my height. The panorama was so detailed and everything looked so small. The panorama even had planes that flew and created shadows over the panorama. The planes were attached to 2 wires that moved making it seem that the planes were hovering and really flying. The wires were in an arch shape dipping into the ground making it seem as though the plane was landing to only later come out of a hole in the ground and rise up again in flight.

If I were to step on the panorama by accident I would crush about perhaps 40 buildings; that is how small the buildings were. Looking at everything so small in the dark room gave me the sense of flying. When in an airplane, when you look out the window and past the clouds staring at the ground everything looks so small and fragile it was the same for the panorama. The panorama also had the twin towers in it as well. With so much details in the panorama it looked like from far away that the buildings blended with each other, making it look more like a panorama of New York’s topography. Also in the museum was another panorama. This was a panorama of Flushing Meadow Park where the museum is located.

With some exhibits I felt so huge and like a giant while with other exhibits I felt small and un-comparable in size. Apart from the mini and large models there was another part in the museum that caught my eye, which was the stain glass exhibit where I saw a couple of really nice stain glasses. I liked the colors of the glass a lot and it just caught my eye and looked like a shiny rainbow when light hit the glass. It was great that I got to visit this mini huge museum, and I had a fun time both being small and huge at the same time.

1 sjiang { 12.04.09 at 3:35 pm }

I love the pictures. I the miniature models look like the models I saw when we had the backstage tour around the opera. Both have intricate designs and resemble the real structures.

2 Tiffany Wong { 12.05.09 at 3:22 pm }

Wow, the panorama is amazing. It is so detailed, it really would make us look like a giant. Your review is excellent, but I think the podcast really did it. I would not be able to picture how big/ small you felt compared to the exhibits without it.

3 ploew { 12.07.09 at 6:28 pm }

I really liked your blurb! The miniature models were cool and the fact that they were made from 9 to 16 year olds. These miniature models really makes me look huge!!! (considering I am not that tall). This just goes to show that everybody can make art, even little kids!