The Amazing Phantom

[display_podcast]

The longest running Broadway, The Phantom of the Opera, is still playing at the Majestic Theatre. It has been praised for its extravagant costumes, amazing sets, but most importantly, its beautiful music. Seeing the musical the first time was awe-inspiring. It truly lived up to my expectations and more. I returned to this musical on November 18, filled with the same high expectations. I looked forward to a night full of amazement and goosebumps. When the performance was over, I was again enchanted by the magnificent music and the wonderful voices of the cast.
The musical first started off with a beautiful overture. The melody of the piece was instantly engraved into my mind. I could not stop humming it to myself until the performers come out. They came out to the dress rehearsal of the “Hannibal.” Carlotta, played by Patricia Phillips, sang with a very operatic voice. It was as if she was the original fat lady with the horn helmet. Her voice carried throughout the theater with such power that I was knocked back into my seat. It was just that strong. But Carlotta had a strong competitor for the role of the best soprano.
Christine, played by Marini Raab, was Carlotta’s rival. She sang the “Angel of Music” like the Angel of music herself. Her voice was breathtaking. She sang high notes that sent chills down your spine and sang dynamics with expertise. She sang loudly with such control that it did not damage the quality of her high notes at all. She enticed the audience with the power of her voice; everyone was at her mercy.
Christine’s counterpart, Raoul played Ryan Silverman, also had an amazing voice, only it wasn’t sweet and angelic. His voice was more charming and warm. It was as if his voice could physically sweep you off your feet. When he sang “All I Ask of You” with Christine, it was truly the most romantic song I have ever heard. Their alternating lines were chasing after each other like two lovers and when they finally sang in unison, it was just love in the form of sound.
Christine and Raoul were not the only one with a voice of power. The Phantom of the Opera, played by John Cudia, also had a voice to allure the audience. His voice was strong, deep, mournful, and dramatic. It had all the necessary qualities the Phantom’s voice should have to really give you the best experience of the musical. His voice really was the strength of the whole performance to me. It haunted the theater with echoes and its ghostly qualities. When he sang the reprise of “All I Ask of You,” I was almost in tears. It was so depressing and moving. All his expressions translated in the melody and his voice. There was not untouched heart in the audience.
After hearing all about the Phantom of the Opera from the outside world, I can honestly say that they were not lying. No matter how many times you see this musical, it will always shock and amaze you every time. The music is moving and touching. The actors all have remarkable voices that all fit their characters perfectly. There is a reason why The Phantom of the Opera has been the longest running show on Broadway, it is because the music is timeless and will never cease to amaze you.

1 sjiang { 12.04.09 at 3:25 pm }

It’s a shame that I have seen many advertisements for it but I never got the chance to watch it. In a way, I can actually picture and hear the people.

2 Anna-Sofiya Lupolover { 12.06.09 at 7:38 pm }

I’ve had many favorite songs, and after listening to them over and over again, I tire of them. But never those from Phantom of the Opera. I blast “Sound of Music” in my apartment all the time. You correctly stated that the music is timeless, and I will never tire of it!!

3 Adam Hashemi { 12.07.09 at 12:42 am }

“The Sound of Music” never sounded so good. Great to know about the show it is from

4 ploew { 12.07.09 at 6:35 pm }

The Phantom of the Opera is so fascinating! I saw this a while ago and I even did a an Illustrated Feature on it. The songs are amazing and each is so unique– some are slow paced yet others are loud and drastic like “The Phantom of the Opera.” The story line is also one of a kind!

5 Paula Danielle { 12.16.09 at 1:50 pm }

I saw it for my second time recently too – and I have to admit that, just like you, I was covered in goosebumps and was not disappointed by how amazing it was, even the second time through.