Review: A Local Gallery Right Under Our Noses

[display_podcast]

Just right around the corner of the Baruch 23rd street building, there’s a little gallery that most people have never heard of. The gallery is located on the ground floor of Baruch’s Administrative Center at 135 East 22nd Street. It is a small gallery that has offered museum-quality shows for over a decade. The gallery is free and open to the public and the schedule reflects the College academic calendar. It seems to be an inside secret. So secret in fact, that a majority of the college students who attend Baruch and who might walk past it everyday, don’t know that it’s there. If you’re not specifically looking for them, it’s easy to miss the plated words, “Sidney Mishkin Gallery,” on the side of the administrative center.

Every year, the gallery mounts five shows. The current exhibit at the gallery, is “Mercedes Matter: A Retrospective Exhibition (October 30-December 14, 2009). This exhibit is a national traveling show, and Baruch College is its first stop. Mercedes Matter best known today as the founder of the New York Studio School of Drawing, Painting, and Sculpture. She created her first painting as early as the age of nine, and as she grew her style matured into abstract expressionism, which is surrealism with emphasis on spontaneous, or subconscious creation.

Many of the paintings share something in common. At first glance they look like splashes of color. There’s nothing organized or planned about them, they just seem random. But keep staring at the painting and you’ll probably be able to make out something. In one still life painting, if you keep staring at it you’ll see birds with very prominent eyes that are looking directly at you. Then there are other paintings where even if you stand there and stare at it for five minutes you still won’t see anything pop out at you. Some of these pieces by Matter seemed too abstract for even abstract, but maybe that’s a good thing. It allows the viewer to be creative, and encourages them to think for themselves. Instead of looking at one painting for one second and saying, “bowl of fruit,” before moving on to the next one, Matter’s abstract paintings might cause you to pull your hair out over figuring out just what the painting is of (maybe not that extreme). I was troubled over a few paintings, unable to make anything out of it. A minute after I walked out of the gallery, I walked right back in, not caring about what the people working there might think, to continuing staring at the painting.
The Mercedes Matter exhibit was simple and yet captivating, but the setting definitely took away from the experience. The lighting was dim and yellow, and the poor lighting influenced how the colors of the paintings looked. I had a couple of questions, but I didn’t want to disturb the lady working there who was on the phone having a personal conversation about her daughter’s SAT scores.
This temporary exhibit is very confusing, but in a good way. Good conversations, good novels, good movies, are thought provoking; the same applies to art. Good art challenges the viewer to think and imagine beyond what is placed in front of them.

1 ploew { 12.04.09 at 10:33 am }

I saw this announcement in one of the CUNY newsletters but have never thought it was at Baruch! This exhibit sounds very interesting and abstract. I liked the part when you talked about how the painting may look like a bowl of fruit, but instead is so abstract and unique that one has to look harder to the point that they might pull their hair out! Often times people are so consumed by school work that they forget to see the plaque (like you said) and the beauty even right downstairs!

2 sjiang { 12.04.09 at 3:18 pm }

“So secret in fact, that a majority of the college students who attend Baruch and who might walk past it everyday, don’t know that it’s there.”
– that is very true. I didn’t know this museum existed until you showed me it! I remember I did have a hard time figuring out some pictures too while I was at the exhibit. Ha! and you talked about the lady on the phone 😀

3 Tiffany Wong { 12.05.09 at 3:04 pm }

You compiled this podcast really well. The tone of your voice matched perfectly with the music and the pictures. I’ve been to this gallery once in the beginning of the semester. I saw a photography collection, and some of the artworks there really are as amazing as you say they are. I would agree that most Baruch students are too oblivious to realize there even is this gallery right under our noses, but somehow I feel like it is Baruch’s fault for not making a big enough deal about it.

4 jwinfield { 12.06.09 at 3:04 am }

Linda was just telling me about this exhibit. It is so cool that right near Baruch we have an art exhibit. I love how you brought in numerous paintings to give everyone a feel of the exhibit. Additionally, I love the background music you used!

5 Anna-Sofiya Lupolover { 12.06.09 at 7:35 pm }

Oh wow! Until reading this, I had no idea this existed. Thanks for the heads up. Next stop: Sidney Mishkin Gallery!!

6 Adam Hashemi { 12.09.09 at 2:12 am }

I, too, had no idea of this gallery’s existence and must rush to it at once. Thanks for the notice with this podcast

7 Juan Mendez { 12.18.09 at 7:20 pm }

I am upset that this is over with. I remember going with the IDC class to various art exhibits near the Hudson River a long time ago, and my favorite pieces where those with random streaks made up of random colors. The pieces would appear to not have any firm idea, but that allows the viewer to create his own image. Thanks for telling us about this gallery.