blurp 4-Fernando Lopez

[display_podcast]

On Saturday December 5, 2009 I had gone to the Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art, located on 594 Broadway, between Houstan street and prince street. It is easy to get there on the ‘D’ train.  The Museum was very small and was about the size of maybe a small gallery room. The museum had undergone renovation a few weeks before my visit in preparation for there new exhibit. The new exhibit was on Archie comics. Archie was a popular comic book that started in the 1940’s. The museum had various Archie comic pages framed on the walls showing the evolution of the Archie comics. The museum shows Archie comics starting from its release following along the walls all the way up to present time. The main character of the comic, Archie, represented a typical American teenager going through life. The Archie collection also included comics related to the Archie like Sabrina the Teenage witch comic and the Jose comic.  Also in the museum are some drawings by cartoonist Peter Kuper, from his trip in Mexico.  Of the few that were there I quite enjoyed the on with the butterfly. It looked interesting to me how on one side of the picture showed the back of the butterfly while the other side showed the front view of the same butterfly with a different background. Over all, though the museum was smaller than I had thought it would be, it was great to see how over all these years the Archie comics have kept there individuality. The characters remain constant and it is amazing how long a single comic could survive. The exhibit showed products that were based on the archie comics such as toys and figures of the characters. The Archie comics even earned a golden record for the song “Sugar, Sugar,” which was hung up in the museum as well. The Archies comics have been going on for about 70 years. This definitely makes the comic book character Archie, a very old teenager.

1 Tiffany Wong { 12.11.09 at 2:43 am }

Haha, this is cute. I used to love the Archie comics. I’m glad there is a museum for comic and cartoon art; and although it might be small, I do believe some comics are just meant to live on forever.

2 mkamenetskaya { 12.11.09 at 6:29 pm }

I agree with Tiffany! I also think this just proves how amazingly lucky we are to live in New York. Where else in the world will you find a comic museum? When we see comic we do not initially think of art, but they are art non the less and deserve a museum too.

3 ploew { 12.12.09 at 2:22 am }

I can not believe I walk around Prince Street and SoHo and have never seen this place! What interested me was the comics of Archie!! I remember having lots of Archie comics and reading comics and watching movies about the crazy adventures of Archie and his crazy adventures with Betty and Veronica! This not only brings back old times but makes me want to visit the museum!

4 sjiang { 12.13.09 at 1:18 pm }

I never knew there’s a museum for comics and cartoon art. I should have expected it, but thanks! This is definitely something I want to go!

5 wilsonjiang { 12.15.09 at 9:17 pm }

I remember I used to read these Archie comics. I like that painting with the front and back of the butterfly. Though the museum may be small, it carries a lot of history of comics within it and helps us relive our memories.

6 Juan Mendez { 12.18.09 at 5:58 pm }

I just looked up the comic books on Ebay, and some are now worth up to $1,500. Archie is a character that has lived on for generations and I think it is very appropriate to have a museum of Comics. If I were a third or fourth generation American, I would gladly take my grandfather and compare what he used to read back in the day, to what the youth reads now.