The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer, performed at the Brick Theatre as part of the Fight Fest of December, was a short piece about a pirate, named “The Buccaneer,” and his quest for love, vengeance, and to “get the hell out!” when danger came running at him with thrashing swords. The performance was entirely in Spanish, and the subtitles added an extra layer of comedy as the completely ridiculous choice of dialogue was displayed very clearly above the actors’ heads. It was almost reminiscent of a Monty Python dialogue with the animal references while they were taunting, and the invisible horseback riding that occurred throughout the entire piece. The highlight of the piece was the sword fighting, (which was the central focus of the Fight Fest in the first place; highlighting theatrical pieces with great fight scenes) which was very realistic even as the characters did absolutely drastic acts, such as sticking a sword in their foot, which would normally look cheesy on stage.
It was especially impressive because of the setting. Set in a black box type atmosphere, where the entire audience was within feet of the action, all of the fighting scenes had to be very specific and very realistic. There were a few actions that could not be duplicated realistically, such as a bullet killing one of the characters, but some artistic design with a flash of bright light and fake blood made the impossible possible. The Buccaneer was over the top and hilarious, but with some great fight sequences it gave way to a very enjoyable show.

1 Angela Wu { 12.11.09 at 10:23 pm }

Wow, you did a good job with this podcast, the background music adds so much more fun to your entire piece.
this looks really interesting: I would like to see it if you know its being performed again!

2 Tiffany Wong { 12.12.09 at 3:27 am }

First off- Yay for the Beatles!!
I really enjoyed this blurb. I think you have a good voice for making podcasts. Haha.
But why is there like ten seconds of nothing at the end? I sat watching it thinking there was going to be some surprise, or something that would pop up and scare us. 🙁

3 dlin { 12.12.09 at 11:20 am }

Wow!!!!
“sticking a sword in their foot”?!
It sounds fun!
I like the intimacy of the black box, where the audience is so close to the action.
I am glad that you have fun

4 Zoe Sheehan Saldana { 12.12.09 at 1:16 pm }

Your voice and intonation are great. You must be an actress!!

Why are the images squished?

5 ploew { 12.14.09 at 10:55 am }

I agree with Zoe. Your voice, the music and everything just clicked! When you mentioned the subtitles, it did remind me of the imaginary horse scene in Spamalot and if this production is as comical or anything like Spamalot, it is my kind of show! Thanks for sharing this with us!

6 Paula Danielle { 12.16.09 at 1:35 pm }

Zoe – I’m guessing that the images got squished when it was converted from podcast into itunes. I’m not entirely sure how to fix it! 🙁

However, thanks to everyone for commenting on my voice. I, actually, hate the sound of my voice! It’s so weird when other people say it sounds interesting!

7 shussain { 12.16.09 at 2:41 pm }

I once had a history teacher who was a monty python fanatic and he got me to like it as well. I enjoy the clever humor.