a great article

I read this article in NYTimes Arts and thought you might enjoy it as much as I did. I am not a fan of metal music but this article made me want to pay attention to it more. It made me think also about our discussion on how to bring the arts into other areas of your academic life (in this case, music is brought together with philosophy, myth, religion, etc). It doesn’t hurt that the article has a really catchy title, too.

MUSIC
Thank You, Professor, That Was Putrid
By BEN RATLIFF

Published: December 15, 2009
“Hideous Gnosis,” a six-hour theory symposium on black-metal music, commenced on Saturday at Public Assembly.

1 comment

1 ploew { 12.16.09 at 12:27 am }

From the first glance, the picture turned me away. However, as I begin reading the article too got me hooked. The article is comical at times (it is my “revolting pleasure”) but it really proved that metal music is an art form too. Like the article said, I use to associate metal music as though “It sounds like it’s rotting…black metal represents decay, radical individualism, misanthropy, negativity about all systems, and awe of the natural world.” After reading this article, I too, though I stay may question at times, feel that metal music can be considered an art because if it is unique and pleasing to someone, that maybe his/her definition of what art is. Not being a huge fan of this musical genre, I nonetheless support this as a valid yet interesting art form for some.