Vermeer’s Milkmaid: Blurb 2

[display_podcast] I do not own the images above.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art has always had some of the most beautiful and rare exhibits. It contains art from all around the world. When I entered the museum, I was greeted with an enormous space with beautiful dome ceilings. Then when I finally purchase my ticket and started the tour, the amount art I encountered was what I thought to be infinite. I walked through exhibit after exhibit, trying to absorb all of what I just saw. I was speechless.

There were many exhibits that I liked but the exhibit that I am going to talk about is “Vermeer’s Masterpiece The Milkmaid.” This is a somewhat new exhibit that contains many of Vermeer’s works and comparisons, including what is considered to be his masterpiece, “The Milkmaid.” In this painting, I saw many beautiful details. The texture of the bread was so realistic that it looked edible. It didn’t help that I was hungry. This exhibit continued a bit with this milkmaid theme by explaining how the milkmaid has always been a subject used by Netherland painters. One of my favorite paintings in this exhibit, besides “the Milkmaid,” was “Woman With a Lute.” It shows a woman tuning a lute and looking out an open window. This suggest that she may be expecting a male visitor while tuning the lute may suggest that she is tuning her own feelings. I really like the story behind the painting; it was really delightful. This museum visit was definitely one of the most inspiring and tiring; but it was totally worth it.

1 Ke Jiang { 10.06.09 at 9:45 pm }

Yay! I like the smiley at the end. I like how you said, “it was really delightful” (laughing out loud). And yeah, walking through the Met can be really tiring; thank God for the some of the benches they have. I also saw this exhibit when I went to the Met!

2 sjiang { 10.06.09 at 11:46 pm }

Your video is really cute. You make me want to re-visit the Milkmaid to see the details that you have described.