Illustrated Review: Disney On Ice

“Disney On Ice Princess Classics: Who’s The Fairest of Them All?”

[display_podcast]
Reporting By: Ariella Levian

When I was a little girl, I used to close my eyes and wonder about the beautiful princes and princesses whose fairytales I listened to before going to bed every night. I could hear my mother’s voice, reading me the magical tales. I could see the illustrations in my colorful books and videos. But the only place where these characters really came alive was in my own imagination.  Never did I think that eighteen years later, these characters that I grew up with and loved so much would manifest themselves in such a magnificent way.

Although she’s only about one year old, I took my niece Rachel to the “Disney On Ice: Princess Classics” extravaganza so she can get an early taste of my childhood obsessions. I was expecting entertainment for sure, but what I was not expecting was the artistic genius that illuminated from each costume of every single character. These costumes served as a time capsule to my childhood imagination and fantasies. Not only were they breathtakingly gorgeous, they were incredibly accurate as well.  Each piece told it’s own story and embodied exactly what each storyline was about. After so many years, the images that have filled my mind were being played out right before my eyes.

As each fairytale demonstrates, every single character is unique. The ultimate tool to display a character’s individuality, therefore, is through their costumes. Cinderella transforms from a hopeless servant, dressed in earthy colored dilapidated rags, into a radiant beauty in a classic blue ball gown dress, fit for a real-life princess. Her gallant prince is no less than perfect in his royal attire, laced with gold, white, red, and other vibrantly regal colors. Although Prince Charming is definitely not hard on the eyes, I must not forget to mention Cinderella’s dutiful mouse friends, who assist her in her transformation from lowly servant to royal princess. These furry friends are too adorable for words, with their huge gazing eyes and delightful humanlike shirts and dresses.

Although not dressed as extravagantly as Princess Cinderella, Snow White makes a powerful statement in her vivacious gown, fitted at the top in royal blue and flowing at the bottom in brilliant yellow.  Snow White may seem sweet and innocent at first sight, but she secretly makes Cinderella sweat for the award of Best Dressed Princess. Meanwhile, Snow White’s seven dwarfs give Cinderella’s mice a run for their money, each with their own particular facial expressions and fashionable belted coats.

Belle, who puts the “beauty” in Beauty and the Beast, is dressed even simpler than Snow White. She sports a minimal yet elegant blue and white long-sleeved dress, with her hair delicately tied back in a matching blue bow. Her beast, however, is anything but minimal. He erupts onto the stage with his menacing mane and majestic purple cloak.  Although complete opposites, somehow these two characters come together seamlessly and are a perfect fit.

Arguably some of the flashiest outfits are displayed in Aladdin portion of the show. You will definitely feel like you are a part of the “Arabian Nights” when the hysterical Genie comes on stage in his golden lamp, donning nothing but blue slacks. Aladdin is ravishing in a sparkly white ensemble, while Princess Jasmine glimmers in a turquoise top and pants, accentuated by gold. Their entire entourage is dressed lavishly, with deep reds, oranges, and purples, and feathered hats. The Mediterranean theme is exuded from the entire group.

The greatest surprise of the night was when Mickey and Minnie Mouse came out for the finale. Minnie was dressed in an adorable pink polka dot dress, while Mickey wore a black tuxedo with a matching pink vest top and tie. This was definitely Rachel’s favorite part of the night because she watched Mickey Mouse every single day and instantly recognized them from their traditional circular black ears and smiling faces. In my book, if a costume can be recognized by a one year old, I would say that it’s pretty accurate.

Every single costume of the entire event was a piece of art, and it’s obvious that an incredible amount of work was put into making each one perfect. It’s not easy to make classic fairytales and characters come to life, but this incredible feat was definitely accomplished at the Disney On Ice: Princess Classics event.

1 Ke Jiang { 10.19.09 at 3:40 pm }

I’m so envious! The colors and the designs of each character’s costumes (or outfits) must have looked amazing on the ice!

2 sjiang { 10.19.09 at 6:01 pm }

Wow! Your podcast is amazing. By listening to the words and looking at the pictures, I felt like I was there. I definitely agree with you it is definitely NOT easy to make Disney characters come to life.

3 Muhammad Javed { 10.19.09 at 10:04 pm }

Marvelous! You did such a good job with this podcast. I never got too into princesses when I was a kid, but you sure did bring the Disney magic and memories back. Great work.

4 Joseph Han { 10.19.09 at 10:32 pm }

I don’t like you because I am jealous of how amazing this sounds. Not that I dreamt about princesses when i was a little boy but it just seems that these costumes were extraordinary. But i do love disney so I am jealous that you got to see them on ice 😛

5 ploew { 10.29.09 at 11:41 am }

I really love your podcast because it shows pictures of famous Disney characters and it truly brings back memories from my childhood! It is like Disney World on my computer!