Paranormal Activity: Hearing the Demon

[display_podcast]

One of the most talked about horror movies recently, is Paranormal Activity. Shot back in 2007, it was only played in a few fright festivals. Last month, Paramount started playing the film in 16 college towns. The tickets were such hot sellers that many showing were sold out. Eager to watch the movie, millions of people went online and “demanded” a wider release. A low budget film, Paranormal Activity took $11,000 and just one week to shoot in writer-director Oren Peli’s own house. Couple Katie Featherstone and Micah Sloat (also the actors’ real names), recently moved into a new house and suspected it to be haunted[1]. They set up a camera and microphone in their room to record any paranormal phenomena that may occur during the night. Replaying the video in the morning, they found out there was a demon haunting Katie. What makes this particular horror film so unique, is its simplicity. The audience sees the whole movie through the point of view of the camera and it all takes place in the house. It doesn’t have gory or bloody scenes or any real violence. In fact, it doesn’t even show what the demon looks like. Effects, especially sound effects, are used to show that there is indeed a demon lurking around the house, and its out to get them.

One use of sound effects that indicated the presence of the demon was the sound of footsteps at night. On numerous nights, the sound of pounding footsteps could be heard coming from the outside hall and stairs. In one scene, it was early in the morning and loud footsteps were heard thumping down the stairs, gradually getting softer. A light switch was heard turning on and light could be seen coming from downstairs. Pots and pants were clanging, and in a few moments the light switch turned off and footsteps were heard coming back up the stairs, getting louder and louder.

One of the first signs of paranormal activity, was the bedroom door moving. Within the first few nights of filming, Micah found that one night at around 2am, the door moved. When that happened, the audience started going “oh my god”, some let out quiet screams. The open door slowly moved in the closing direction and stopped. In a few moments, it moved back to the way it was. The whole scene would not have made such an impact without the loud creaking sound effect of the door. From the way the door creaked, it sounded heavy, not the sound a door would make if it were simply blown by the wind. The door slowly moved, purposely dragging out the sound of the creak. It was so loud that you knew the demon was trying to make its presence known. In once scene, Micah had enough and he openly challenged the demon, insulting it and telling it he’s not afraid. That night, the door slammed shut. It sounded like the loudest door slamming possible, and that showed how angry the demon was.

Another sound effect used was the demon’s sounds. The demon didn’t talk, but you could hear it breathing and “roaring” at times. On some night when the demon “woke up” Katie, she could feel it breathing on her. It doesn’t sound like breathing (of course, we don’t know what demon breathing sounds like), but the audience knows something’s not right. It’s subtle, but there’s definitely some kind of sound cutting through the dead silence of the night. When Micah used the microphone to amplify sounds, he could sometimes hear the demon grunting or “roaring” when he provoked it.

What makes this movie terrifying is that all these little things, footsteps, doors creaking, sounds in another room, are things that many people may hear during the night. All these sounds sounded insignificant—until after this movie. The director took advantage of these sounds, amplified them in his movie, and used them in place of all the bloodshed and goriness of many other horror films, to keep the audience on the edge of their seats. The sound effects were a key to the success of this horror film.

[1] Corliss, Richard. “Paranormal Activity: A Horror Phenomenon.” TIME. 10 Oct. 2009. Web. 19 Oct. 2009. <http://http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1929648,00.html>.

1 Jessica Lam { 10.21.09 at 8:02 pm }

I agree with you. When I hear those horror noises in horror movies I get really scared because I know something is going to pop out all of a sudden, and good job on your review! I felt scared reading this :), and listening to your podcast at the same time. It’s as if I am there.

2 wilsonjiang { 10.21.09 at 8:55 pm }

I saw this movie recently as well and honestly, I thought it was a little dry though it was different from other horror movies. It was pretty boring up until the very end. However, I thought the presence of the demon added onto the suspense and his actions that caused something to happen out of nothing. Indeed, like you said, the synergistic effect of all the little things caused the plot to move along at a good pace.

3 Ke Jiang { 10.22.09 at 6:18 pm }

I really like the sound effects in this podcast. And your voice with the background music makes this podcast sound scary. Your writing shows the suspense and fear that were present in the film and the audience members who watched the movie.

Personally, I’d never watch this because I’m horribly terrified of scary movies. Even your podcast scared me a little.

4 sjiang { 10.23.09 at 4:28 pm }

I totally agree with Ke! Though I didn’t quite understand what she was talking about the first time I listened to you, I do now. Your voice has this echo effect in it that radiates to the background or something. But it is a very good effect for such a scary film

5 vivianlo { 10.27.09 at 12:01 pm }

I have a naturally scary voice? :'(

6 Savannah Gordon { 10.27.09 at 12:51 pm }

I have to agree with Jessica here…even reading some of this got me spooked, but I’m just not a person who can sit through a scary movie. Anyone else reminded of the Blair Witch Project craze that took over when THAT shaky-cam movie came out? Similar idea in terms of production, and some people think it’s silly, but look how effective it was…!

7 Jessica Lam { 10.27.09 at 9:05 pm }

And you don’t have a naturally scary voice!

8 Ariella Levian { 10.28.09 at 10:34 pm }

The combination of the background music and your chilling voice was freakishly awesome! I’m usually not spooked by horror films, and wasn’t planning on watching this one, but now I definitely have to check it out for myself!

9 shussain { 11.01.09 at 10:23 pm }

I think is amazing how the director use nothing but subtle sounds and actions to create so much suspense. It goes to show that you don’t need a high budget film and crazy effects to make a popular movie.

10 Adam Hashemi { 11.02.09 at 1:23 pm }

How a movie with such a small budget could rise to the top of the box office is tremendous. This movie is evidence that a great director can make a lot out of a little and take a production to new heights.

11 Paula Danielle { 11.04.09 at 2:04 pm }

This movie proves that what is really frightening isn’t what COULD happen, but what really HAS happened. While there’s always the chance of getting attacked by a stranger or haunted by an angry ghost, what really gets to the heart of an audience is seeing a person who has actually had it happen. There is an empathy that can’t be shared with just an actor! This movie looks terrifying and great!

12 Anna-Sofiya Lupolover { 11.15.09 at 6:50 pm }

I watched this movie on Halloween and couldn’t sleep that night. But, I must admit it wasn’t that scary. I’m pretty sure that the only reason I was so frightened was that they hype around the movie was so grand. Also, the movie had no plot. It was scary just for the purpose of being scary. I left the movie very disappointed.