Flavio Perez’s Interview as told to Sayuj Zachariah

Flavio’s Interview as told to Sayuj Zachariah

Flavio Perez was born and raised in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Due to a strict family upbringing, Flavio did not know much about the rest of New York City let alone the rest of Brooklyn. Attending Brooklyn College offered him a whole new perspective on the other parts of Brooklyn. He enters outside of his comfort zone in the heavily Mexican-populated neighborhood of Sunset Park.

Flavio1

Growing Up

My parents were very strict, and I wasn’t allowed to go out much. I was really isolated. I don’t really know much about New York City. While I was growing up, I didn’t really know what Manhattan was. I still don’t even know what the Bronx and Queens is. When it comes to Brooklyn, I don’t know much about Bed-Stuy and places on that side. I’m only familiar with  Sunset, Bay Ridge, and Park Slope. All I could tell you is that I know Sunset like the back of my hand. I mean I began going out more in Sunset when I was in the seventh grade during middle school.

My parents didn’t want me getting influenced by the streets – bad people. I would always go to school come back, and then do my work until I sat down with them and told them that I’m old enough to make my decisions and they would have to trust me. Then they started letting me out slowly but surely.

His Parents’ Journey

My parents have told me about how they immigrated to the United States. I just don’t remember it off the top of my head. We don’t really talk about it. I don’t know. It’s not like we’re embarrassed because we’re really not. I just feel like with all the time they’ve been here (27 years), they just fit in. Their story changes because a lot with me because it’s vague in their mind. They remember it though because stuff like immigrating from another country through the rough path, you can’t forget stuff like that.

I have a step brother. My mom left because she wanted to get him enough money to bring him here over time. She always sends money every month to him. She hopes that when I’m old enough, she would be able to get him documents to bring him here. He’s 23, he’s been by himself for over 19 years. I don’t know if anyone comes to America with great expectations, They’re just trying to find themselves a better future. That’s why they say the United States is the land of opportunity. I think she has definitely received the life she was hoping for in America. We always talk about currency at home. I think one dollar here is like three dollars in Mexico. They’re better off here than going back home. I always joke around with my dad and say how I don’t have to do much and I would still earn more money than you. And then he says, “I don’t care. I would prefer going back home and earning my money doing a hard day’s work than being here all lazy making anything.

Religion

I work instead of my dad whenever he can’t go for religious reasons. My parents are very religious. They go to church a lot. When they have a commitment with the church, I work instead of my dad. We’re Roman Catholic, and we go to Church every Saturday in Sunset. We go to St. Agatha’s between 48th and 49th Streets and 7th Avenue. I had my First Communion in the Basilica. My sister is also very involved. She’s in the choir and even though I feel forced to go to church, she doesn’t feel this way.

Education

I see myself being a firefighter growing up but I’m pursuing business. I want to be a firefighter because my dad’s boss was a firefighter and he invited us to his house and there was a lot of fancy stuff in it. One room had his old uniform and he talked about 9/11 and what he did and what more he could have done. He’s a really big inspiration to me.

I’m in the SEEK program, and the way I see it, I didn’t have the grades to get into Brooklyn College regularly. But they saw something in me, considering my financial situation, and they gave me a shot at an education. There’s something that I bring to the table that I recognize.

Feelings About Sunset

Sunset’s perfect for my family because it’s diverse but its mostly Spanish people. There are Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Salvadorians, and Nicaraguans. I knew that they wouldn’t want to be in a place where they can’t communicate a hundred percent. Communication and living standards because over here, rent isn’t as much as other places in New York City. Before they lived in the Bronx or Queens, and they hated it because it was pretty dangerous. At first it was hard living in Sunset because they didn’t know anyone. But soon, in 51st Street, between 4th and 5th Avenue, there’s a big sense of community. There’s a guy here with a big guard dog named Shadow that walks around without a leash. If he knows you he won’t do anything.

Sunset has the best tacos! I always say that. If anyone ever wants to come over to Sunset, Tacos Broncos shout out, best tacos! And no, I’m not getting paid to say that. It’s just with experience.

Flavio2

The Future of Sunset

Recently, I have noticed new stores in Sunset Park. Especially I see bubble tea stores, diners opening up. I guess you can say that we have become a bit gentrified when it comes to stores opening up. I can’t say much when it comes to housing or apartments. I have heard rumors about this old church on 44th that closed down because of a fire, and I heard that the government is taking over and building condominiums there. I sense a change coming, and within 30-40 years, Sunset is not going to the be the same.