Remembering 9/11

The exhibit “Remembering 9/11” is now open at the New York Historical Society on Central Park West in Manhattan. What I like about this exhibit is that it really gets into the heart of what that day was all about. It isn’t some memorial that was built after the fact to commemorate the attack. This is a display of pictures from the actual day. It shows images that are hard to look at but crucial to see and to remember– burning buildings, bodies, horrified witnesses. What is perhaps the most heart-wrenching part of the exhibit is the collection of signs that were posted all over the city in the days following the attack, signs that read “Missing Person” and “Have you seen my daddy?” The exhibit also includes first-person video recollections of the terrorist attack. A link to the NY Times article with more information can be foundĀ here.

One thought on “Remembering 9/11

1. Nice post. I remember the notes and the pictures posted everywhere. They didn’t seem as futile at the time as they do in retrospect. There was a real state of collective shock that we all seemed to experience. We saw the towers fall. We knew that many people were still inside when they fell. It was the most horrific day I hope any of us will ever experience. (But… could you check your link to the article. It did not seem to be working.)