Three Ways to Look Back, None Easy

This article details the various ways in which 9/11 is commemorated at three different places in New York City. The first is the School of Visual Arts, the second is the Museum of Modern Art and the last is the International Center of Photography.
The School of Visual Arts uses mostly photography to express its sentiments on 9/11. Out of 6,500 pictures submitted, 300 are lined up and strung across to tell the story of 9/11. What I find impressive is how most of the art does not explicitly show the buildings being hit by the planes and yet it still manages to express the complex emotions that are associated with 9/11. I’m glad that we can display such emotions without taking a hammer and hitting the observer over the head with it. The sublime nature of art is one of its best and distinctive qualities.
At the Museum of Modern art, rather than solely utilizing art that was made for or because of 9/11, pieces are displayed that were created just to be art. After all, art can elicit various reactions based on when and where it is placed. From the author’s opinion–which he strongly conveys–the “random” art does not feel out of place, and actually helps create a soothing atmosphere. Juxtaposing a scene of peaceful flowers with the wreck left after horrible incident is somewhat soothing. It even seems to give a feeling of closure to the event. Since I am a musician, I found one musical, or at least auditory, aspect very interesting. Stephen Vitiello stayed on the ninety-first floor of the tower when Hurrican Floyd struck. By recording they sounds the building made during the hurricane, he created an audio that personifies the building by giving it a voice.
Last, but certainly not least, is the International Center of Photography. In the article, the author describes this location of art second, but I feel it fits better last. This is due to the fact that it is focused on the aftermath of 9/11, including the reconstruction. What stood out to me, from the authors description of the artwork, was the exhibit that showed 49 aerial photos of the new towers under construction. Through these pictures, the observer can follow the evolution of the towers, like a phoenix reborn from its ashes.
Even though this article is a few days old, and the tenth memorial for 9/11 has already passed,  I feel that these presentations could, and should, be timeless if they are combined. Making a complete timeline of September Eleventh is not an easy task: especially doing so through various media of art. However, these exhibits seem to have accomplished this feat. To see the article, click here. 

One thought on “Three Ways to Look Back, None Easy